• Create Account

Tetris sample in DirectX 10

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 QMC   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

I want a Tetris sample in DirectX 10 with C++. Does anyone know a sample?

Thanks in advance,

QMC

Sponsor:

#2 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5252

0Likes

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

Not to kybosh your plan, but why 10? 9 has the mass support ( XP ) and 11 is the most current/powerful. To use 10, you are giving up the vast support of 9 while gaining nothing in return.

#3 QMC   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:31 PM

My GPU is too old for DX11, and DX10 has more features than DX9

#4 Jeffreyp   Members   -  Reputation: 178

1Likes

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:55 PM

Why not just program in DirectX11 and set it to target DirectX10 hardware?
So you can learn DirectX11 instead of DirectX10.

#5 QMC   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:51 PM

Is that possible? That's great! Now I'm only waiting for the sample...

#6 Jeffreyp   Members   -  Reputation: 178

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:56 AM

After some searching, i don't think there are any tetris samples in DirectX11.
But if you want to learn DirectX11 maybe these links can help :

http://www.directxtutorial.com/ (paid, but got some free tutorials)
http://www.rastertek.com/tutindex.html (free, but in my opinion not so good as the above)

both in DirectX11 or DirectX10

#7 QMC   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:36 AM

I preveously followed rastertek.com, but it only focuses at graphics, not at making a game.

#8 Radikalizm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2794

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:17 AM

Tetris is one of those games you should try to figure out yourself, it's very simple to design and implement and is therefore recommended a lot to beginners on these boards
A sample of a full tetris implementation won't teach you anything

I gets all your texture budgets!

#9 QMC   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:15 AM

@Radikalizm: That's like telling me to write something in Japanese, while I can't! I'm new to DirectX and I don't know how to use it. I want a Tetris sample so I can figure out how DirectX works. All the tutorials I followed were only related to graphics, not to a game in general.

#10 Radikalizm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2794

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

@Radikalizm: That's like telling me to write something in Japanese, while I can't! I'm new to DirectX and I don't know how to use it. I want a Tetris sample so I can figure out how DirectX works. All the tutorials I followed were only related to graphics, not to a game in general.

You do realize that that's what DirectX is right? DirectX is not a game engine, it's a graphics library, all the game related stuff is up to you

I gets all your texture budgets!

#11 QMC   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:51 AM

UnrealEngine and Source are game engines, I know.
The only thing I don't know are the command you can use in DirectX, THAT'S my problem.

#12 boogyman19946   Members   -  Reputation: 1036

0Likes

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:18 AM

Before you start to speak Japanese, you usually look up lessons or take classes to grab the rules of the language and then jump in for practice, you don't just start watching subtitled anime so you can analyze the language and figure it out. Clearly, both ways are, in a sense, a possibility but clearly the latter option is a magnitude more difficult. Judging by your past two posts, that's what you're trying to do. It's like studying the final product so you can understand the tools. You don't learn how to use a hammer by studying a standing house. You either learn to use it before you begin your work or figure it out while you're at it.

That's enough of the metaphors for now, though. If you want to study DirectX seriously, go look up tutorials for DirectX or buy yourself a book about it. All you need to know about DirectX to make Tetris is how to render a bitmap or a shape at a specific position. Everything else is logic work.
"If highly skilled generalists are rare, though, then highly skilled innovators are priceless." - ApochPiQ

My personal links :)
- Khan Academy - For all your math needs
- Java API Documentation - For all your Java info needs :D
- C++ Standard Library Reference - For some of your C++ needs ^.^

#13 QMC   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:38 PM

I would be grateful if someone would provide me a game tutorial which covers game logic.

#14 QMC   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:41 AM

Never mind about this topic, I've buyed a book covering all this.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS