It is similar to EvE, and personally, I feel like it would be a REALLY cool 3d game...but would be very difficult to set up without a huge team. As detailed below, the game would take place on a HUGE 2d coordinate grid. Resources would be limited...as in no new resources would be spawning from no where.
Before reading through the outline, try and get your mind in line with how im envisioning this. It is a persistent RTS game. You are a general type, as in, you tell your ships what to do, and they do it. So, you load up your browser, you select, "Ships" category, and are given a detailed view of all your ships, and their locations, and then have specific access to each stat on the ship.
For instance, you click on Scout Ship 3 for more info, and receive the following:
Name: Scout Ship 3
Payload Size (hover for popup of cargo): 10/10-on highlight you see cargo of 5 fuel cells(2 size each)
Speed: 5x speed of light
Ship Abilities: PermaScout Engine (deflates fuel cell 50% faster when activated)-PermaScout will permanently reveal a 2x2 area around the scout ships current coordinates. Lasts 15 hours.
So you decide you want to scout with this ship. You select a desired position and tell the ship to head there. It starts moving, then you active PermaScout engine and start revealing the map. The ship will then travel until it reaches the destination, runs out of fuel, or is manually stopped. Another example would be setting up a mining operation. You would build multiple mining ships, and defense ships, form a convoy, and set up the convoy to path from your base to a resource rich asteroid that you mine. After setting up the convoy and creating the path, you don't pay attention to it anymore. You just have to keep enough fuel at your base.
At your base, it would be smart to build a refinery, that takes those minerals you are mining, refines them into fuel, so that everytime your convoy returns, you know you'll have fuel.
The map could be visually displayed with just a few different graphics..."space" and "planets" different sizes etc. The image loaded into that piece of the grid is dictated by what active nodes is located there.
Well, here is a quick outline i wrote up describing the ins and outs of the game. Would love feedback.
If you couldn't tell yet, the game is COMPLEX. It would be a living breathing world, with its own economy, its own alliances, and many players getting killed etc. It would be a niche game. The idea is that new players might not even run into each other for months. It would be a game that lasts for years and years, and develops and changes over time through player actions.
Domination - Game
- Server creates random 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 sized “space” arena. It doesn’t actually create the whole array, instead it creates
- ~a certain number of “active” nodes randomly placed on the 1m x 1m coordinate grid.
- “Active” nodes designate that a coordinate is occupied with a planet, asteroid, planetary sized base, or etc
- example: cord 32,420 x 210 is an “Active” node for “planet 232”
- planet 232 contains properties such as
- Planet size
- minerals contained
- hospitable atmosphere (1,2,or3)
- Such as a 500x500 square that holds vital resources, but requires ships with huge fuel wells.
- All space debris, for EVERY item that costs minerals will be salvageable.
- Specific resources will become more scarce
- i.e. A spacecraft requires 500 gold to build. When scrapped, you will only receive 450 gold back.
- However, resources that diminish will return randomly in space at random intervals.
- Players start with a “Colonization Ship” and are given ‘x’ days of real life time to find a planet to colonize before they can be attacked.
- Colonization ships, when colonized, would give the player starting ships and a “Base of Operations”
- Stores Resources
- Contains Basic Workshop
- Gives player ability to convert minerals into
- basic item to construct ships
- creates ships
- creates new structures within BoO and upgrades
- New structures include (upgrades from 1-10)
- Mineral processing
- each structure can be tiered into different trees or specializations
- Unclaimed planets can be claimed through
- Claiming - planting your colonies “banner”
- Banners can be placed on any unclaimed planet
- Other players banners can be destroyed
- this takes time, and thus, players can be alerted and send reinforcements
- Once destroyed, you can put your banner up.
- Claiming grants sight around planet
- Expand your in game presence.
- Military Presence
- Dominate space with deadly forces
- Form alliances, group together, and control space with your peers
- Become the greatest trader and get rich. Expand your empire with greed.
- Players can group their “ships” and units together into “convoys” or send them out by themselves
- Based on ships movements speeds (lowest speed bottleneck for convoys), ships will travel from 1 coord to another.
- Coords of interest are memorized on the players “map” and will be organized through filters (proximity, minerals, last seen enemy)
- The map (while it COULD be visual) will simply be stored as ie.
- 12341x2391: Planet ABC
- 392x2730: Asteroid XYZ
- Clicking on Asteroid name would list specs warranting player has scanned it.
- travel distance per coord(block): .0013(1/2/365 or 12 hours) light years
- travel speed of craft: 2x’s speed of light
- Thus, traveling from 1x1 to 1x2 would take the ship 12 hours.
- And traveling from 1x1 to 2x2 would take the ship:
- .00194 distance (17.266 hours)
- Therefore, it would take a considerable amount of time to expand throughout the galaxy.
- Colonization ships...will randomly spawn on the map. will move at 50 lightyears at first, but will decelerate over time. The closest uninhabited planet will be revealed.
- If no uninhabited planets are left Colonization Ship can become its own “planet.” It would have the same functions, just would not have any natural mining tools.
- For instance, have the ability for players to “create” quests themselves.
- Select, “Create Quest >> Transport”
- Please select item you’d like to transport
- Please select destination
- Please enter price, “static amount” or “bargain”
- Create: Quest on Current Ship Node for Ship
- Thus, players would collect around central hub/systems/wormholes to collect quests
- Exploratory beacon
- an extremely fast drone that flies towards a specific area. When it reaches that area(distance dictated by fuel capacity), it does a scan of the area in a 5x5 block of space. It then destroys itself (becomes part of space, which can be scanned, then collected as scrap.
- Scrap can be reprocessed for the raw materials it took to construct.
- Similar to exploratory beacon. Sent to an explored area. It will scan 3x3 area (dependant on upgrade), and return data of coords to player.
- Creates a warm hole entry position. You can then drop an exit somewhere else, allowing quick access to long distances.
- Depending on level, they last different amount of times. from 1 hour to 1 month.
- Players can charge usage fees to other players akin to charging players to ride your rollercoaster in Roller Coaster Tycoon (the price is adjustable).