• Create Account

Rendering to Cubemap for Environment Mapping

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vincent_M   Members   -  Reputation: 638

0Likes

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

I've got my 6 cameras at the position of the object I'd like to environment map, but now I'm not sure how to render to a texture for a cubemap using FBOs. I've got rendering to a GL_TEXTURE_2D target working fine, but if I bind my the current frame buffer that's rendering to a Gl_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP target, how do I set which cubemap target to my rendering camera?
For example, if I have a camera pointing along the positive Z axis, I want to render to the cubemap's GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_Z sub-texture each frame. How would I do that?

Sponsor:

#2 Yann L   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1798

0Likes

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

For example, if I have a camera pointing along the positive Z axis, I want to render to the cubemap's GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_Z sub-texture each frame. How would I do that?

Simply by using GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_Z as the texture target to a glFramebufferTexture2D call, eg:
glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_Z, texture_id, 0);

Alternatively, if you want to render the cube in a single pass, you can attach the entire cubemap using
glFramebufferTexture(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, texture_id, 0);
and select the target face in the geometry shader.

#3 Vincent_M   Members   -  Reputation: 638

0Likes

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

That last method you mentioned was what I was doing. Can you elaborate on how I'd select the target face in the shader? I'm guessing it's by using a cube map sampler since I'm passing a cube map through.

#4 Yann L   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1798

1Likes

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

Just so that we understand each other: you want to render to a cubemap, right ? I got a bit confused when you started talking about texture samplers.

The first code snippet I posted uses a six pass technique. You render your scene six times, once for each of your 6 cameras. glFramebufferTexture2D is called to attach a specific cubemap side as the target for each of the rendering passes. A cubemap side attached this way will behave like a normal 2D texture target. You gradually build up your cubemap by cycling through all the GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_* constants as targets.

The second method is a single pass approach. You bind the entire cubemap as a target, and only perform a single render pass. This method requires a geometry shader that will duplicate each primitive six times, projecting it onto all six cubemap faces simultaneously (through your six view-projection matrices). The geometry shader directs each duplicated primitive to the appropriate cube target face using the gl_Layer variable.

#5 Vincent_M   Members   -  Reputation: 638

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

Just so that we understand each other: you want to render to a cubemap, right ? I got a bit confused when you started talking about texture samplers.

My wording wasn't that clear, but you are correct. There are two reasons I'm rendering to a cubemap: to make a cube depth texture for shadow maps, and an environment map for reflective surfaces and water.

So, after I setup my FBO, I'd do something like this?
// add the color attachments to the cubemap
for(int i=0;i<6;i++)
	glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0+i, GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_Z+i, textureHandle[i], 0);

Now for rendering to the cubemap in my Scene management class:

// only render to a texture
void Scene::RenderEnvironmentMap()
{
	// cancel early if the cubemap render target is invalid
	if(!cubeTarget) return;

// set the cubemap render target's FBO
	int oldFBO = GetBoundFBO();
	SetBoundFBO(cubeTarget->GetFBO());

// render the scene to each face of the cubemap
	for(int i=0;i<6;i++)
	{
		// set the current camera from the managed cube camera pointers
		SetCurrentCamera(cubeCamera[i]);
		glBindRenderbuffer(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_Z+i, cubeTarget->GetFaceTextureHandle(i));
		RenderObjects(); // render the scene
	}

// set the FBO back to the original one
	SetBoundFBO(oldFBO);
}

#6 Yann L   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1798

1Likes

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:13 PM

You are mixing up different concepts here (cube map faces, MRTs, render buffers, etc).

It looks like you are indeed rendering the scene 6 times. That would be the first approach I outlined earlier. For this to work, you will need to bind the cube sides one after the other, while rendering the matching camera view:

// Bind the FBO
glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, fboHandle);

// Attach a depth renderbuffer to the FBO
glFramebufferRenderbuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, GL_RENDERBUFFER, depthRenderbufferHandle);

// Render the six views
for( int i = 0; i < 6; ++i ) {

// Bind the i'th face of the cube texture as target to color attachment 0
   glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X + i, cubeTextureHandle, 0);

// All following render calls will now end up on the i'th side of the cubemap !

// Setup camera and render scene for the i'th view into the previously bound cubemap face
   RenderObjects();

}

// Unbind FBO
glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, 0);

// Cubemap at cubeTextureHandle is now complete.

This assumes that your are only interested in a color cubemap texture and it uses a shared depth buffer for the rendering. If you want a depth cubemap generated in the same 6 passes along with the color cubemap, then drop the render buffer and add a second glFramebufferTexture2D call to the loop, attaching the i'th depth cube texture face to GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT. Something like:
glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X + i, depthCubeTextureHandle, 0);

#7 Vincent_M   Members   -  Reputation: 638

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:26 PM

That looks like what I'm looking for!

Now, not only does this work for setting up the cubemap, but could I use this to re-render the scene each frame?

If I wanted to update the cubemap, could I call this on render frames:
glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, fboHandle);
for(int i=0;i<6;i++)
{
	glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X + i, cubeTextureHandle, 0);
	RenderObjects();
}

Does the call to glFramebufferTexture2D() work, or does that attempt to add another GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0 to the framebuffer?

#8 V-man   Members   -  Reputation: 805

1Likes

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:23 AM

It works. No, it doesn't add other attachements. If you want to add others, you use GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT1, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT2, etc. whatever the max is for your GPU.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

#9 Vincent_M   Members   -  Reputation: 638

0Likes

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:24 AM

When rendering to my cube map texture, I'm getting a black texture.

Here's how I create my cube map and FBO:
void EnvironmentMap::CreateFBO()
{
	// check if the dimensions are greater than supported
	int size;
	glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_RENDERBUFFER_SIZE, &size);
	if(width > size || height > size)
		return;
	DestroyFBO(); // release everything

// allocate the new buffers
	int oldFBO = GetCurrentFBO();
	glGenTextures(1, &handle);
	glGenFramebuffers(1, &fbo);
	glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, fbo);

// setup the texture	
	SetBoundTexture(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP, handle);
	SetFilter(GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
	SetFilter(GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
	SetWrapMode(GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
	SetWrapMode(GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);

// allocate the texture
	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X, 0, GL_RGBA, width, height, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);
	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_NEGATIVE_X, 0, GL_RGBA, width, height, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);
	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_Y, 0, GL_RGBA, width, height, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);
	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_NEGATIVE_Y, 0, GL_RGBA, width, height, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);
	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_Z, 0, GL_RGBA, width, height, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);
	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_NEGATIVE_Z, 0, GL_RGBA, width, height, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);

// set the texture rendering targets
	glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X, handle, 0);
	glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_NEGATIVE_X, handle, 0);
	glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_Y, handle, 0);
	glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_NEGATIVE_Y, handle, 0);
	glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_Z, handle, 0);
	glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_NEGATIVE_Z, handle, 0);
	SetBoundTexture(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP, -1);

// add a depth attachment
	if(useDepth)
	{
		glGenRenderbuffers(1, &depthRenderbuffer);
		glBindRenderbuffer(GL_RENDERBUFFER, depthRenderbuffer); 
		glRenderbufferStorage(GL_RENDERBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT16, width, height); 
		glFramebufferRenderbuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, GL_RENDERBUFFER, depthRenderbuffer);
	}

// check framebuffer status
	unsigned int status = glCheckFramebufferStatus(GL_FRAMEBUFFER);
	switch(status)
	{
		case GL_FRAMEBUFFER_COMPLETE:						printf("GL_FRAMEBUFFER_COMPLETE\n");						break;
		case 0x8CDB:										printf("GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_DRAW_BUFFER\n");			break;
		case GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_ATTACHMENT:			printf("GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_ATTACHMENT\n");			break;
		case GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_MISSING_ATTACHMENT:	printf("GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_MISSING_ATTACHMENT\n");	break;
		case GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_DIMENSIONS:			printf("GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_DIMENSIONS\n");			break;			
		case GL_FRAMEBUFFER_UNSUPPORTED:					printf("GL_FRAMEBUFFER_UNSUPPORTED\n");						break;	
		default:											printf("Unknown issue (%X).\n",status);						break;
	}

// set clear the FBO to white
	ColorRGBA oldColor = GetClearColor();
	SetClearColor(ColorRGBA(1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f));
	glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);

// restore the previous FBO
	SetBoundFBO(oldFBO); // set the old FBO
	SetClearColor(oldColor); // set the old clear color
}

Here's how I render my scene to a texture each frame:
// render the environment map
EnvironmentMap *envMap = sceneOBJModel->GetMesh(0)->GetMaterial()->GetEnvironmentMap();
SetViewport(ViewportData(0, 0, 128,128));
SetBoundFBO(envMap->GetFBO());
for(int i=0;i<6;i++)
{
	glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X + i, envMap->GetHandle(), 0);
	if(cubeCameras[i]) scene->SetCurrentCamera(cubeCameras[i]);
	if(scene) scene->Render();
}

The environment map was also allocated to the dimensions of <128, 128> per face.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS