• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Building Projection Matrix Manually

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 redneon   Members   -  Reputation: 134

0Likes

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:09 AM

I hope I'm posting this in the correct section of the forum...
For years I've just use the utilities provided by OpenGL to build projection matrices and camera look at matrices for me. I've recently started writing my own maths library as I'm wanting to remove all deprecated OpenGL functions from my code. So after reading this book I understand and have a fully working vector and matrix classes (3x3 and 4x4) that are column major and pre-multiplied. This book doesn't mention much at all about the graphics side though so I'm looking for some other good books or documentation that would show me how to build projection matrices from scratch, preferably focused towards right handed coordinate systems and column vectors.

I did think about looking at the MesaGL code for gluPerspective, glOrtho and gluLookAt etc. but, although I'm sure that would work, I want to understand why they're doing what they're doing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsor:

#2 coder0xff   Members   -  Reputation: 225

0Likes

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/misc/misc/math/article.php/c10123
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and Im not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS