• Create Account

semi-realtime roguelike battlesystem

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 ncsu121978   Members   -  Reputation: 522

0Likes

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:14 AM

so i am trying to make a roguelike with a large wilderness area. I do not want it to be completely turn based as even if the player is not moving around i want the mobs and other things in the game environment to still move or do the things they do. Say every one second all entities are able to perform an action, in the case of the player he may just be standing doing nothing and may miss his opportunity to act but it wont stop the rest of the world from acting.

Now how do i turn this into a battlesystem? I was thinking that if the player had their "action" key or whatever it is they want to do pressed when there "one second" opportuniy hits, it will perform that action. But that could cause a delay up to a full second between pressing a key and the action taking place. Also if the action is just a movement key, waiting a full second to move each tile would cause a lot of pain if trying to move to otherside of world (game world will be at minimum 256x256 and bigger).

any other suggestions?

Sponsor:

#2 n00b0dy   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

this is more of an implementation detail.

1) remove the meaning of tiles. Make it tileless or just hide the fact that it is tileless.
2) turn on "tiles mode" in battles only. [optionally use 3d collision shapes instead of tiles like phantom brave].

3) When you press the forward button, the player increases his speed = he can go faster and faster as time passes.
4) Dont make the player wait ten years just to see what happened, its a game, not television.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS