• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Custom OpenGL Transformations

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 promo   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 September 2001 - 05:24 AM

Hi Guys I have seen that many 3d games use their own form of 3d transforms. examples - in unreal tourmnament you can sometimes see a weapon or dead body through the ceiling (doesn''t happen with normal transforms), or in Oni (anyone knows this game?) when an object like a box is supposed to hide your view it becomes transparent and you see through the insides of it (which means that it''s front side is flipped). Is there any good reason to use your own transformations - advanced matrix manipulation etc. - or does OpenGL suffice for everything? if so, how do you do it? -------------------- so, what you''''re saying is, that the mushroom spores were brought in from outer space by - who??

Sponsor:

#2 zedzeek   Members   -  Reputation: 528

Posted 23 September 2001 - 10:01 AM

yes if u want to know where something is in world space do it. reasons why u would want to know this. collision detection, special effects etc

#3 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 23 September 2001 - 10:44 PM

so does that mean that I transform all coords into world-coords, and then pass those coordinates to OpenGL? I thought that something like that would slow my game considerably...

... and maintain two sets of coords - local and world?
did I get this right?

--------------------
so, what you''''re saying is, that the mushroom spores were brought in from outer space by - who?? -cosmosis

#4 zedzeek   Members   -  Reputation: 528

Posted 24 September 2001 - 10:30 AM

with regards to collision testing
most games use much simpler models to model the player eg most FPS''s just use a few boxes (called bounding box) thus not to transform.
though even still with q3a + UT i believe they transformed every vertice into world space before they gave them to the api. but with newer stuff i dont think they''ll be doing this, cause hardware t+l cards have become much more common + now we''re talking many thousands of vertices not just a few thousand.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS