• Create Account

Name for MMORPG

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

#1 wellcosh   Members   -  Reputation: 137

0Likes

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hi,

I need to find a name for my simple MMORPG. What is it like?
  • Two teams (about 20 people each) trying to defeat the other camp.
  • Everyone can choose one "job" - lumberjack, farmer, builder etc. and one "main weapon" - sword, bow or spell
I just can't find any suitable name. Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 Bigdeadbug   Members   -  Reputation: 173

2Likes

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

Well a lot of games tend to get their title from their lore. Whats the name of the world its set on or some other crucial thing in its story?

You can of course name it after some central part to the game-play (Rift is an example of a game that has done this) but i can't think of one from the info in your post.

Also MMOGs then to put online or even world in their name so that people know from just reading the name if its an MMOG or not.

#3 wellcosh   Members   -  Reputation: 137

0Likes

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:59 AM

Well a lot of games tend to get their title from their lore. Whats the name of the world its set on or some other crucial thing in its story?

You can of course name it after some central part to the game-play (Rift is an example of a game that has done this) but i can't think of one from the info in your post.

Also MMOGs then to put online or even world in their name so that people know from just reading the name if its an MMOG or not.

I don't have any story yet :(

Edit: I asked Cleverbot to help me with the name. After complaining he said: Cuttlefish, Tinntinabulation, Console advert, Chartreuse, Skittles. This guy is kinda smart :D

#4 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6041

1Likes

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

I don't have any story yet :(

Edit: I asked Cleverbot to help me with the name. After complaining he said: Cuttlefish, Tinntinabulation, Console advert, Chartreuse, Skittles. This guy is kinda smart :D

Start by making the game, it doesn't make any sense at all to pick the name before you even know what the game is about.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#5 wellcosh   Members   -  Reputation: 137

0Likes

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

Start by making the game, it doesn't make any sense at all to pick the name before you even know what the game is about.

"I don't have a story" doesn't mean "I don't have a game". Also, I've written exactly what the game is about.

#6 AJergenshoon   Members   -  Reputation: 103

2Likes

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:06 PM

If that's literally all the game is about, and you don't have a lore or backstory or anything, then the names that come to mind include "Annihilation," "There Can Be Only One," "Wipeout," "Conquest," "War For Survival," "Build And Destroy," "The Foe Must Die," "Warcraft" [oops -- been done, strike that one], "It's Us Or Them," "Burndown," "Rampage," "They're In Our Way!" "Struggle," "No Compromise," "This World Ain't Big Enough," or "Plowshares To Swords." Hopefully one of those will work or at least give you some ideas.

#7 driftingSpaceMan   Members   -  Reputation: 143

2Likes

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:10 AM

Naming and branding for public release and advertisement is often one of the last things done. projects have working titles to be referred to internally, but aren't often finalized until they're being published.

I'd say stick with something simple. "Apprentice war" or the like. The name is not very important until you're making advertisements for players.

#8 LoreHunter   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:46 AM

Hi,

I need to find a name for my simple MMORPG. What is it like?

• Two teams (about 20 people each) trying to defeat the other camp.
  • Everyone can choose one "job" - lumberjack, farmer, builder etc. and one "main weapon" - sword, bow or spell
I just can't find any suitable name. Any ideas?

Thanks

Camps of peasents (COP) Battle Campers......
_-_-_-_Lore_Hunter_-_-_-_

/_()R-

#9 Paul Franzen   Members   -  Reputation: 334

0Likes

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

This. With my games, I usually don't even think about the final name until the story and dialogue are at least 3/4 of the way fleshed out. IMO, it's only around that point that you can come up with a name that encompasses the entirety of the game, not just the concept you have when you first start developing.

I say come up with a codename for now ("Project Tinntinabulation," naturally!), and worry about the final name when you're much further along.

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

#10 Caldenfor   Members   -  Reputation: 323

0Likes

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

A combination of FPS and RTS and RPG? Hmmm. Good potential. Add strategy towards strengthening your allies to improve your chances in battle. Are you leaning more towards death match or something else in regards to PVP?

#11 meh.team   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

"This World Ain't Big Enough," or "Plowshares To Swords." Hopefully one of those will work or at least give you some ideas.

Hey "the world aint big enough" is really good. Mind if i use it?
Meh Entertainment.
Twitter: @MehTeam
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Meh-Entertainment/205596602807085
Donate on our site please??????

#12 Postie   Members   -  Reputation: 909

1Likes

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:31 AM

Finding a good name is very difficult, but talking to others about your "untitled <insert genre> project" is a pain. I tackle this by assigning a codename until I have a proper name. This also gives me a lot of time to come up with a proper name I like. A friend of mine had a favourite saying that amounted to: "If you design the packaging before the project has started, the project will never be completed."
Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog: ByteWrangler

#13 ManuelMarino   Members   -  Reputation: 153

0Likes

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:17 AM

what about "Lumberjacking stories: let's cut that wood"... :D
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor

#14 Jackmoumdjian   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

How about "Choppers"?

#15 eugene2k   Members   -  Reputation: 237

1Likes

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

How about "Yet Another MMORPG"?

"I don't have a story" doesn't mean "I don't have a game".

Also, I've written

exactly

what the game is about.

The main problem is that you don't have a setting. A setting is something that makes the events happening in the game logical. Who are those people that are trying to defeat each other, for example? If they are villagers of rivaling villages, then you can call the game "Village Wars", or if these people are knights of arthurian legends competing for the holy grail you can call the game "The Grail". Battlefield series gets its name from being set on a battlefield. You could describe it as "32/32 match between two sides of players each of which can choose a profession and a weapon" (somehow this description sounds very familiar) which basically says that this is a team deathmatch type of game and not much else about the game itself.

#16 FooBarSteve   Members   -  Reputation: 181

0Likes

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

The Battle for the Camps

#17 Berserkr   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

Unhappy Campers.

I understand it's a simple game, but surely there must be a little more to it than "people are in camps and can pick jobs and are fighting", at least if you plan to release this to the public. If not, well you don't really need to worry about the name.

If there is more to it, share that with us and I'm sure you'll get some better answers =D

#18 Sayid Ahmed   Members   -  Reputation: 134

1Likes

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

Fief Grabbers

#19 GninjaGnome   Members   -  Reputation: 182

0Likes

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Sounds a bit like "Fat Princess", ...which I believe got its name because the developers didn't know what to call it, so always referred to it as, "that Game with the fat princesses".

What have you guys been calling it?
What's the setting?

..Campground Pound?

#20 Malabyte   Members   -  Reputation: 588

0Likes

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Plowswords. Posted Image

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS