• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

COLLADA To Engine-Specific Format

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vincent_M   Members   -  Reputation: 744

0Likes

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:38 PM

I've been reading about COLLADA lately, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good libraries out there for parsing COLLADA files. I've looked for COLLADA DOM, and fCOLLADA, but couldn't find them. What I'd really like (but doubt exists) is if some one decided to write some sort of serialization library that'll load the parts of the COLLADA file you need, then output it to a binary file format organized to my liking.

Any ideas on how to work with COLLADA files? I've thought about parsing through it using tinyXML to load what I need into memory for output, but I really dunno.

Sponsor:

#2 teutonicus   Members   -  Reputation: 518

2Likes

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:48 PM

http://assimp.sourceforge.net/ may be worth looking at. It handles the import for you, so you don't have to worry about parsing the COLLADA file. It supports formats other than COLLADA as well :)

#3 Kimmi   Members   -  Reputation: 565

1Likes

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:09 AM

As a Assimp-developer I can recommend AssImp as well Posted Image. If you need some ideas how to use it you can look at the current Clan-Lib-release. Their moved to assimp, too.

Kimmi
A complicate solution may indicate a not understood problem.

@KimKulling

#4 Vincent_M   Members   -  Reputation: 744

1Likes

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:03 AM

I tried building assimp, but I got a build-time error under Xcode 4 since the project was old. Noticed the COLLADA support after reading both of your posts. Very nice!

Thanks!

#5 henrikbennetsen   Members   -  Reputation: 108

1Likes

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

http://pycollada.github.com/ is actively developed by someone I work with and worth a look

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS