Battlefield 3 Beta

Started by
33 comments, last by Lex224 12 years, 6 months ago
Official BF3 thread?

I don't like how you have to run the game from a browser and can't change settings unless you're actually in the game. Also, having to install Origin, plus a browser plug-in, even if you buy the retail copy bugs me.

What I don't understand is why they are beta'ing an infantry only map? It makes it seem more like a MW knockoff than a sequel to BF2.

That being said, my thoughts on the game itself are generally positive. I like how the buildings blow up. I like the unlock system. The gameplay itself is top notch.

My Origin ID is ChurchSkiz if anyone wants to friend me, post your ID if you're playing the beta.
Advertisement

What I don't understand is why they are beta'ing an infantry only map? It makes it seem more like a MW knockoff than a sequel to BF2.

Probably because they're more worried about netcode than gameplay for the initial beta.

Still waiting for all my computer parts to come, so I have no opinion on the game right now other than I wish I could play it :(

Still waiting for all my computer parts to come, so I have no opinion on the game right now other than I wish I could play it :(

Doesn't take much. I have a 6950 and have all settings on Ultra at 1900x1200 and haven't had a jitter yet.
Played it a bit. Runs on ultra on my laptop (1920x1080). Not really my kind of game. Bit too fast paced with very little teamwork. Any server with even a little bit of latency problems is worthless and unplayable. Just results in "wtf moments" since you fall down dead instead of getting hit then getting a few ms to respond.

In that respect I was hoping to play on the Caspian map since it's more like BF2 people said.

Doesn't take much. I have a 6950 and have all settings on Ultra at 1900x1200 and haven't had a jitter yet.

Just picked up a GTX 570 myself :D *video card high five*

I can't bring myself to install Origin. I just know if I do, in a few months when 4chan gets hold of the auto-patching server and loads it with malware I'll be cursing EA.

Am I being irrational by having an irrational fear/hatred of Origin? I really want to play BF3.

I will clarify and say that my "computer" does not have any parts that make it functional yet ;)

I am building a new desktop and haven't gotten any of the important pieces yet. So far I have a case, and a mistakenly bought cheap network card which will be sent back soon.

edit: by "gotten" I mean physically received. They are already purchased and in transport.

I can't bring myself to install Origin. I just know if I do, in a few months when 4chan gets hold of the auto-patching server and loads it with malware I'll be cursing EA.

Am I being irrational by having an irrational fear/hatred of Origin? I really want to play BF3.

Suspect all software. Many people love and trust Steam, yet look at the frequent patches they release, many to patch exploits like you mentioned.

I think it is irrational. You trust all the other crap on your machine; this one is backed by a fortune 500 company. If they screw up badly there will be some pretty big reprecussions. They have QA groups larger than many entire studios. Sure you are at risk for skript kiddiez, but that is always true of all software.

If you don't trust it, or trust it less than all the other crap already on your machine, then try it in VMWare. Worst that happens is you end up deleting a virtual machine.

Official BF3 thread?

I don't like how you have to run the game from a browser and can't change settings unless you're actually in the game. Also, having to install Origin, plus a browser plug-in, even if you buy the retail copy bugs me.

They've done the similar things with games on Steam, so why would this be any different?
Personally I like the browser stuff, It's very smooth and you can look at stats and shit while waiting for the game to load.

This is a beta, it's not the final product, it's not for you to "play" the game,
Mostly Open Betas are used for stress testing the servers.
They don't give you the game for free with this, they merely want people to help them make it better before launch which is coming up very close.
Just to be sure the whole browser game lobby thing is just to get you to install spyware on your browser.

Its a horrible system, and think about it, what good does it actually seem to do vs in-game lobby?
Still preordered... But will be using origin under protest.

People can say steam is as bad, but steam is an order of magnitude less bad than origin.
If you don't believe me wait till the stories start cropping up.
Can someone explain the browser plugin to me? Is it the server browser -- so to change servers, you've got to quit the game and go back to your browser, then launch the game again?
With this browser plugin, can I choose which browser it is installed into? I really don't want to clog up my everyday browser with stupid useless plugins, so I'd prefer to use IE or some crap instead if I can. Wait, seeing as Origin has a browser embedded in it, why doesn't it launch from Origin?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement