• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

MMORPG, Looking for devs.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

#1 Jackster   Members   -  Reputation: 98

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:21 AM

Team name:
FIRUNDRA (Temp)

Project name:
MMORPG

Brief description:
This project is to make a MMORPG game. We want to have things like real guild control and super quests. We have global servers ready to launch and the best game engine there is. The game will have everything a normal MMORPG has but much much more and users can use real cash to buy items that are worth a lot of money ingame. The game is free to play that is funded by in game shop that uses real money and advertisements on the web site/forum.

Target aim:
The studio owns 51% of the game the rest is divided between the developers. This is to keep the game secure and will fund future projects.

Compensation:
You will get a fair share of the profits.

Technology:
Animation and map making. 3ds Max etc.

Talent needed:

Skills needed;
Python
C++
Linux
3ds Max
Maya
An an interest in MMORPGs
Story (Quest) making.
PHP/MySQL with payment gateway experience.

Team structure:
Me, Server Developer / Head Dev. I am learning to code Python at the moment and will be taking a course on C++ and game design.
Aaron, Learning and will be making maps and stuff.
Matt, Not sure.

We are looking for 4-15 people on this project.

FIRUNDRA.NET

Contacts:
Forum PM @ FIRUNDRA.NET

Previous Work by Team:
I have worked on multiple FPS games and a 2D MMORPG.
Matt has made mods for MineCraft.
Aaron is a newb as I said he is learning on the job.

Additional Info:
We are writing story line atm. We are working on the back-end first. You will need some sort of interest in MMOs.

Any thing you need please ask. Constructive criticism welcome.

Please note. This project is mostly under cover at this time. If you are very interested I can add you to the dev list on our forum.

Thank you.

Jack,

Sponsor:

#2 rogerdv   Members   -  Reputation: 294

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:54 AM

What engine are you using? Your technology description is a bit vague to me.

#3 Zethariel   Members   -  Reputation: 310

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:09 AM

What engine are you using? Your technology description is a bit vague to me.

I think this will answer your question

We have global servers ready to launch and the best game engine there is.
(...)
Python
C++
Linux
3ds Max
Maya
An an interest in MMORPGs
Story (Quest) making.
PHP/MySQL with payment gateway experience
(...)
This project is mostly under cover at this time

Simply amazing post. Please, Jackster,read this before you continue.

Also, how can you own 51% of a game that does not exist (even as a design)? Are you a formal company?
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)

#4 D_987   Members   -  Reputation: 109

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:33 AM

This project is to make a MMORPG game. We want to have things like real guild control and super quests.

What is a 'super quest'?

We have global servers ready to launch and the best game engine there is.

Greater explanation needed.

The game will have everything a normal MMORPG has but much much more

Like what?

I have worked on multiple FPS games and a 2D MMORPG.

Any videos or images of these games? You don't even mention them by name or what your role in development was.

Aaron is a newb as I said he is learning on the job.

So this guy will be 'making maps and stuff' yet he has never developed anything before?

We are writing story line atm. We are working on the back-end first. You will need some sort of interest in MMOs.

It always blows my mind when people post on these kinds of forums and use informal language when attempting to interest potential team-members. The use of 'atm' looks awful.

With regards to the project as a whole:
  • Unrealistic expectations - making an MMO
  • Lists 'examples' of previous experience but doesn't back it up.
  • Poorly defined roles within the team - the team already includes dead weight as there's somebody apparently on board who hasn't worked on anything before.
  • Is 'learning' programming as he goes.
  • Uses an unspecified engine that is 'the best on the market'.
  • Profit compensation method with no specifics other than 'fair'.
  • Apparently has 'global servers' but no game to put on them...
  • No images or in-game shots - no GDD or any kind of real information about the game that isn't just hyperbole
I know you said you want to keep information under wraps but not displaying anything makes you look like you don't know what you're doing.

The article Zeth linked you to is excellent; I urge you to read it also and re-consider this endevour. To quote it:

'Don’t plan an MMO, it’s way beyond you, even with a team of a few hundred people. Hell, aiming much higher than Pong is setting yourself up for failure. Pick something small and execute. Again, there is a 99.99% chance your game isn’t going to be published, so approach it as the learning experience it is.'

'Alright, back to being negative again. You can’t create an MMO. You and 10 of your best friends can’t create an MMO, unless of course your 10 friends are all A-list developers and even then frankly you still can’t afford to create an MMO. Got a few million dollars? No? Then drop it, an MMO isn’t the way to go. Now, some day you may be able to work on a Warcraft killer, but as your first project… well frankly that’s like trying to find a cure for cancer in your high school chemistry class. Aim lower, much much lower.'

I'm trying not to be overly harsh [it's difficult and I don't think I succeeded] so apologies. This is the kind of thing that has been posted to death on these forums and you'd get the same response every time - use it as the advice from fellow devs it's meant to be and evaluate your current concepts / way of distributing information. Just look at the other MMO posts currently on the front page and compare them to yours for example.

#5 Radikalizm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3306

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:53 AM

I am learning to code Python at the moment and will be taking a course on C++ and game design.

Seriously? An MMORPG is a serious challenge, even for seasoned veterans with years of experience, thinking that you will be able to pull it off while learning is pure insanity

I gets all your texture budgets!

#6 Zethariel   Members   -  Reputation: 310

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

Jackster, @ your homepage -- I can see you are remaking Doom I. By all means, stick to that! Don't kick off your career on gamedev.net with flames -- that shows disrespect and proves you did not read the multitude of topics, such as the basic FAQs or veteran member's advice.
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)

#7 Jackster   Members   -  Reputation: 98

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

I have made MMORPGs before.

I have to say that from what I have done. Making them is easy.

Once you have the basics, making the quests and items is easy.

We used the Eclipse game engine to create a game called Level Zero.

Yes the map making is easy but the scripting of the quests took hardly any time.

I have not ever asked for help from others before so sorry if it is not to what you normally get on this forum.

We are using BigWorld's game engine.

Most of the stuff we have written up is on our forum.

We want to add things like uploadable faces to the user can feel more ingame than ever before. We want to add outstanding quests that keep the user stuck to the game.

I hope that answers some of your questions. Please say if I have not.

Jack,

#8 Caldenfor   Members   -  Reputation: 323

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

I have to say that from what I have done. Making them is easy.

Once you have the basics, making the quests and items is easy.

We used the Eclipse game engine to create a game called Level Zero.

Yes the map making is easy but the scripting of the quests took hardly any time.

I have not ever asked for help from others before so sorry if it is not to what you normally get on this forum.

We are using BigWorld's game engine.

Most of the stuff we have written up is on our forum.

We want to add things like uploadable faces to the user can feel more ingame than ever before. We want to add outstanding quests that keep the user stuck to the game.

I hope that answers some of your questions. Please say if I have not.

Jack,

What makes the game fun?

#9 DarklyDreaming   Members   -  Reputation: 366

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

[...]

Care to share a link to that MMO? It's rare that even an experienced dev can handle the infrastructure and content for thousands of players, let alone an inexperienced one. So, if you have actually done it, that'd be pretty extraordinary and worth sharing - dontcha think? :)
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe

"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar."

~ Antheus

#10 Jackster   Members   -  Reputation: 98

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

[...]

Care to share a link to that MMO? It's rare that even an experienced dev can handle the infrastructure and content for thousands of players, let alone an inexperienced one. So, if you have actually done it, that'd be pretty extraordinary and worth sharing - dontcha think? :)

We stopped working on it a long time ago. The game is stored on a HD that is broken. Going to get it fixed sooner or later.

I might have some photos on my Photobucket.

It was not a massive game it had 30-40 quests. Not many played.

#11 Azgur   Members   -  Reputation: 325

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:10 AM

The game is stored on a HD that is broken.

That's the online equivalent of "The dog ate my homework".
I'm absolutely amazed how often the "broken HD" excuse has been used on this board.
I'm not kidding when I say I've seen this in at least a dozen 'MMO' threads.
Remco van Oosterhout, game programmer.
My posts are my own and don't reflect the opinion of my employer.

#12 Radikalizm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3306

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:56 AM

The game is stored on a HD that is broken.

First of all, any competent developer would know that using some sort of version control for their source code and doing regular backups of their codebase is crucial, so saying 'it was stored on a HD that broke down' is just a very weak excuse (as said above, this is the equivalent of 'the dog ate my homework')

Second, if the game you developed has never been able to support a massive amount of people, nor a massive amount of content, then you haven't made an MMO (the first M is rather crucial, you see)
What you made was probably an online multiplayer game, nothing more, nothing less

Actual MMOs are very difficult to design, implement and maintain, people saying differently probably don't know what they're doing, or are just lying to themselves

I gets all your texture budgets!

#13 Caldenfor   Members   -  Reputation: 323

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

I just wanted to know what the point of playing the game would be?

What makes it fun?

Time to start up a new site: Aspiring MMORPG Developers. A place for people that want to be involved with making an MMORPG can go. Eventually, the sheer volume of people might actually be able to make a game. The goal would be to start simple. Don't even discuss what the game is going to contain, just make a world in which you can actually have massive amounts of people. They could be stick figures, whatever, just a world where everyone can log in and be like... wow, we made an MMO. Then, add the RPG to it.

How is that for a realistic goal?

P.S. I am not going to lead it, but I think it would serve as a better way to spend your time than to just try to create one on your own/with a tiny team. Collaboration is key and you can't have an MMORPG without the MMO.

#14 Jackster   Members   -  Reputation: 98

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:46 PM

The game that we made a long time ago was on my PC that was a few years old.

At the time I was the only computer I had and only one HD in it.

Well.
You all attack everything I say. It seams that you lot all have your heads where the sun don't shine.

I have had lots of positive feedback from other communities. I guess you lot are just here to spike anyone's tier who wants to make games.

Bye.

#15 jtagge75   Members   -  Reputation: 139

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

They just like to rag on people with unrealistic goals in making games. A bunch of nubs on another forum going "this is the greatest idea evar!" doesn't make for a development team that can get anything done. And if you are giving up like this when just getting asked valid questions how are you going to deal with criticism for the next 3-4 years? Or you expecting to learn C++ in the next couple of weeks and have a playable demo out making money by the end of the year?

#16 nfries88   Members   -  Reputation: 259

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:26 AM

Indie MMORPGs have about a 100% failure rate, so you're not going to be able to get anyone with experience to help out without upfront payment. If you want to contact me privately and provide me with details on just what you'd need, I'd be willing to program a solid framework that you could then build upon for a reasonable price. (I worked on an open-source MMO in C++ for about 4 years).
Looking for paid or open-source C++ programming work. Been programming since 2005. No degree.

#17 Caldenfor   Members   -  Reputation: 323

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

Well if you do stop by against Jackster, please leave a quick note as to what will make the game fun.

Thank you.

#18 Lith   Members   -  Reputation: 429

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:55 AM

We used the Eclipse game engine

The Eclipse Game Engine is actully quite good. It has a very nice community using it and is one of the things that got me into programming.

The engine itself is quite outdated(VB6 and DX8 i think) but there have been some relatively successful games made with it. (Ambardia) Of course none of the games made with this engine can even cope with more than 50 people online, the most people i've seen on an eclipse game is about 20.

It's perfectly possible for him to have made an online rpg with this engine. There is alot of work involved like making all of the game's content like maps, npcs and items. All of the graphics and sounds.

Im just trying to say that this guy probably has some idea of the work involved, but i agree with eveyone here that it is ridiculous for him to try and make an mmo from scratch when he is "learning python." Mabye he doesnt quite understand the stuff under the hood, but i think he knows that you dont just click your fingers and an mmo magicly appears.

#19 nfries88   Members   -  Reputation: 259

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

Yeah, I messed around with Eclipse some myself, that's why I know he might actually make something if someone provides him a good base. Otherwise I wouldn't have offered.
Looking for paid or open-source C++ programming work. Been programming since 2005. No degree.

#20 Jackster   Members   -  Reputation: 98

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

Just poping by.

With the old game I made I knew NOTHING.

Yet 4-6 months later I had a working game and average of 100-150 players.

I learn by making what I want and not making little things that have no use.

Ill come back in a few years and show you how much I have done.

Then you will be kicking yourself.

Ps, I have said "Ill come back in a few years and show you how much I have done." before to other projects that might not have been game related. Lets say Jack one, other people null.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS