• Create Account

Where i cant get xna skyboxes

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gl_Terminator   Members   -  Reputation: 448

0Likes

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

Anyone can tell where i cant download xna ready skyboxes

Sponsor:

#2 DarklyDreaming   Members   -  Reputation: 357

0Likes

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

No such thing -- a skybox is a skybox; any kind will do.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe

"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar."

~ Antheus

#3 Gl_Terminator   Members   -  Reputation: 448

0Likes

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

No such thing -- a skybox is a skybox; any kind will do.

NO, Ive download skyboxes from internet and they didnt worked, i dont remember the name now but xna have a a special texture format for skyboxes and not all are the same

#4 Juliean   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1893

0Likes

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

A skybox is a simple cube mesh rendered behind the actual scene, with a texture on it like every other mes. I dont know XNA so good but I highly doubt it has a special texture format. Png, dds, jpg, choose as you like.

Still cant get it to work? Can you render a cube with a texture? If yes, then upscale the cube, disable z-buffer and render it as first object (reactivate z after that). That what a skybox is.

#5 Starnick   Members   -  Reputation: 1043

0Likes

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

The typical skybox uses a cube map texture, which is not at all specific to XNA. A cube map consists of 6 images (hence, the name cube), so you can also take 6 separate images (jpegs, pngs, etc) and load them as Texture2Ds and set each face of the cubemap (XNA's TextureCube) using that texture data. Additionally, you could save that texture data into a single DDS file, which will compile nicely by the XNA content pipeline so you can load the TextureCube object at runtime. This type of texture I'm talking about are like these, which consequently come from a XNA tutorial that may help, since you're going to need more than just the texture in getting a skybox set up.

#6 Gl_Terminator   Members   -  Reputation: 448

0Likes

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:37 AM

Thanks to everyone but i am not a beginner, The texture format i was talking about is DDS, the problem with these files is that i cant find descent skyboxes from the internet, and sometimes when I try to load it it throws an incorrect format exception.the question is where can i DOWNLOAD A DDS FILE THAT HAS A SKYBOX WITH A VERY NICE RES

#7 BattleMetalChris   Members   -  Reputation: 157

2Likes

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

The DirextX texture tool which comes with the DirectX SDK allows you to take any 6 images and put them together into a .DDS format cubemap texture for use as a skybox.

With a bit of manipulation in photoshop beforehand, it shouldn't be too hard to use it to convert skyboxes in other formats into the DDS Texture array you need. :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS