• Create Account

BF3 Thread

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 dpadam450   Members   -  Reputation: 949

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

Just wondering what other people thing. I see so many low res textures and sometimes it takes like 5 seconds to stream from like 64x64 textures it seams to like 128x128 (which is apparently the high quality ones in some cases just really low). For some reason everything is Bioshock shiny, you know wet but not wet, but "our gfx engine has normal mapping LOOK" you know. The shadows are done so weird I don't even know what to say, they are the worst shadows I have seen because of how messed up they look. Bodies will disappear in front of my eyes. I threw grenades at one point and they would hit an invisible wall and bounce back. And my game just crashed on xbox, so I kinda think MW3 will be my best friend. I have NEVER had a game crash on xbox, and only Starcraft 2 crash on my PC a few times.

Gameplay wise my issues are: Throwing grenades has to finish its animation or some time value because you cant throw 2 grenades really fast you have to throw, wait about 1 to 2 seconds, and then throw another one. You also can't cook grenades. The guns are so jerky and the auto aim works nothing like MW3 so on hard I'm getting knocked out pretty quick (also no layout to get B as my crouch button). I also hate that every game puts you in some world that you know nothing about. I have no idea who I am fighting other than the acronym PLA (people liberation army Im guessing) and I don't know why I am fighting them. Its also funny too because so far I'm a dude having flashbacks.....just like COD black ops.

Anyone else? I just cant believe this is supposed to be the biggest hyped game of the year and is disappointing on the technical level. Gameplay isn't the worst so far and I will continue through until I get pissed and take it back to Blockbuster. Not even sure I will finish it at this rate.

Sponsor:

#2 NiteLordz   Members   -  Reputation: 468

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

PC version is very nice. I don't see the problem w having to wait a second or two to lob a second grenade. You can't lob them that fast in real life. U have to pull the pin n lob. Seems real to me.

Graphically speaking I see a ton of high end tech.

Just my $0.02 though
Code makes the man

#3 dpadam450   Members   -  Reputation: 949

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:33 PM

It may just be a console thing, I looked at a walkthrough on PS3 and saw the same as xbox, no idea about pc. Its not even that you wait a second, you click the button he goes to grab for it immediately, so if I throw a grenade, and click to throw another one, I should at least grab for it shouldn't I?

#4 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2506

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

Clearly you should have looked at this before hand

BF3 PC vs PS3 graphics comparison

:)

And damn you EA, don't mail me and tell me the game is coming out on the 27th and then email me again at 5pm on the 26th and tell me it's been out for 17 hours!! Bandwidth doesn't roll over until midnight and I'm already over.... grrrr
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#5 ChurchSkiz   Members   -  Reputation: 458

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

I played the Xbox beta and couldn't believe how much more awesome the PC version was. Anyway I'm surprised they even put in a single player version based on how many resources and time it takes vs multiplayer. I probably won't be playing the Single Player for months. The multiplayer is awesome and I'm glad BF is back.

I like MW, and in many respects I'm much better at it (run n gun is more my play style), but nothing can compete with the times I had in BF2. When you have a squad working together with vehicles, taking and giving orders, working as a team on an objective, nothing can beat that. The rush maps add a nice change of pace to the longer conquest battles too.

MW is more like team deathmatch. Which is OK, and in many respects I'm better at that, but it just doesn't have that epic feel to it, or the sense of achievement when you win.

#6 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

my largest problem atm is just lag spikes, but that's not really isolated to BF3 so I can't knock it for it.

I have a couple tiny issues with the game, but I love it so far.

My issues:
  • Some rush maps are very easy to spawn camp on - It would be good if defenders had some option to spawn further outside the attacker's range like the attackers do for defenders. Arguably though attackers are already at a disadvantage by having limited deaths, and defenders don't have that problem. I just get very frustrated when they get 3 people in the perfect spots and all of a sudden you either get killraped or just wait for them to get both objectives before spawning.
  • Lighting flicker (usually on rubble) - I've noticed while sniping that on things that are far away the lighting tends to flicker a lot. When I'm sniping and looking for anything that moves and there's little flickers everywhere it's minorly frustrating.
  • I suck at flying jets - I wanted to be good at flying jets :( I might just hook up a 360 controller to my computer just so I can fly without a mouse.

#7 n3Xus   Members   -  Reputation: 721

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

Posted Image

#8 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

Posted Image

I love that he comes back to kick the door down for you.

#9 dpadam450   Members   -  Reputation: 949

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

AHAHAAH I had a moment like that where my teammates on the russian part did not follow me. Then I went ahead and cleared the next area, they walked from parking level 2 to 1, by walking through a fence and playing the walk animation as they fell, then they continued playing the walk animation and walked up a van from the back to the front.

For the shadows on xbox this is what I meant: there is horrible z-fighting on the building shadows where pixels are all over the place, and all the decent shadows they decided to use random sampling with no blur applied and you get every shadow looking like the following image, just complete noise. I would have rather seen blockier pcf textures than this shit cuz it looks so bad.

Posted Image

#10 boolean   Members   -  Reputation: 1729

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:09 PM

I tried installing origin for the beta and couldn't even log in. Based on that and all the complains of the battle browser thing, I'm a little worried about picking it up.

[Android] Stupid Human CastlesFull version.

#11 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2506

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

Posted Image

I love that he comes back to kick the door down for you.

that happened to me too.

Played a bit of SP yesterday. It's not great, a prettier CoD clone.

OTOH, played some co-op last night and that was fantastic, especially the heli mission.
really looking forward to jumping into mp
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#12 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

I tried installing origin for the beta and couldn't even log in. Based on that and all the complains of the battle browser thing, I'm a little worried about picking it up.

From what I'm reading on their forums it sounds like battlelog has some issues with antivirus and firewalls. I'm having huge issues with parties and chat outside games specifically.

#13 ChurchSkiz   Members   -  Reputation: 458

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:56 AM

From what I'm reading on their forums it sounds like battlelog has some issues with antivirus and firewalls. I'm having huge issues with parties and chat outside games specifically.

The server browser annoys me to death and the chat/party system sucks. I have a feeling, and I hope I'm right, that the voice system is just a band-aid while they work on a real chat system. Not only does it make random servers harder to coordinate teamplay but having to alt-tab really screws me up cause it makes my mouse settings go haywire.

#14 dpadam450   Members   -  Reputation: 949

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

When playing on xbox you get the option to install HD textures: check this out:

!

#15 J-dog   Members   -  Reputation: 120

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:40 AM

Checked this out over the weekend... playing on ultra and I'm very impressed with the graphics - and the audio - fantastic stuff!! Although I did have to up the core voltage of my graphics card for this one... otherwise it would always crash within 5-10 minutes. This is a DX11 issue though and I'm a bit surprised that some 500 series GPUs even have this issue!

The game itself? Well I'm not very good at it. But it's still a lot of fun, and I'm giving it a shot... I played Mw2 before and had lots of fun, but frankly this feels new and fresh to me, while I'm sure Mw3 is just going to be a re-hash of Mw2. (And this game was cheaper, with much, much prettier graphics.) I also have to say, the mechanics are damn solid and the game just feels good to play. That's very important in an FPS.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS