• Create Account

3D physics engine.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 HavingPhun   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

Hi am creating a game engine and one of its parts will be a 3d\2d physics engine. How would I go about this? Also how would I make sure the physics engine and my graphics engine work together and in sync? I would use box2D or bullet but i want to make everything myself.

Sponsor:

#2 Dirk Gregorius   Members   -  Reputation: 732

1Likes

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

I recommend looking into "Game Engine Architecture" and you can also google for Entity / Actor Systems or Game Objects.

I encourage you to write your own physic engine and a good start might the presentations by Erin Catto. You can also use Box2D Lite as an orientation. I assume that you have a reasonable mathmaetical background and are familiar vector calculus and dynamics (somewhere on a university level). If you don't have these prerequisites you can still try it, but it will have a very steep learning curve. Another thing to consider is to use Havok (3D) or Box2D (2D). You will learn a lot just from integrating and using these libraries.

HTH,
-Dirk

#3 MarekKnows.com   Members   -  Reputation: 448

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:35 AM

If you take a look at the physics video tutorials here: http://www.marek-knows.com/downloads.php5?vmk=physics you will see how I joined the physics engine with the openGL rendering engine that I wrote.

---
Free C++, OpenGL, and Game Development Video Tutorials @
www.MarekKnows.com
Play my free games: Ghost Toast, Zing, Jewel Thief

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS