• Create Account

Countries with best food

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

#1 Lode   Members   -  Reputation: 982

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

Hi all,

I think the countries with the best everyday food in the world, are Belgium, France and Italy. I happen to be from Belgium though.

What are your favorites? For the U.S., feel free to use states, if there are differences between states.

Sponsor:

#2 kryotech   Members   -  Reputation: 942

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

I love the food in Montreal. India has some good food as well.
Kryotech

#3 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1793

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:15 PM

Never traveled to another country so it's hard to say. In the US there's a Hungry Howies (the one next to my house) that has the best pizza I've ever had (I've eaten pizza in many states). Then there's a Chinese takeout a few miles away that makes the best orange chicken I've ever had. Though I've heard Chinese food isn't always the same as what you'd get in the actual country. Cheeseburgers at most restaurants here are really good. My university cafeteria had some amazing food. They had these herb and waffle fries that were the best fries I've ever had in my life. I didn't know fries could be that good until that point.

I digress though. That is my everyday food. I get like chinese takeout every week and eat a pizza every week along with other things. There's a sub shop (not subway) that makes my favorite subs. Tons of meat and cheese and stuff. You can get like everything in the US within a few miles of any location. :lol:

#4 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

I'm married to a Peruvian, so I'm just a little biased, but good Peruvian food beats anything I've had elsewhere. There are several local hot peppers with great flavors that aren't grown much of anywhere else (aji amarillo, rocoto, aji panca) as well as some indigenous herbs that are fantastic (like huacatai). Much of South American food is incredibly bland, but Peruvian food has powerful flavors. Some everyday foods that are incredible when cooked with fresh, local ingredients are:
  • Papa a la huancaina - this is pretty much the only Peruvian food any American has ever heard of. It's basically nacho cheese sauce made with aji amarillo, served over potatoes and hard-boiled eggs, with a lettuce garnish. It's quite good, very common in day-to-day eating, and is cheap. The sauce is basically aji amarillo, queso fresco, milk, oil, and a loaf of bread in a blender. Sometimes it's served quite spicy, but often the seeds are taken out of the peppers before blending.
  • Lomo saltado - stir-fried tenderloin steak, tomatoes, and onions, all served over a bed of lightly-salted or unsalted french fries.
  • Aji de gallina - this is a sort of chicken curry flavored with aji amarillo, garlic, cumin, and a bunch of other spices, with crushed nuts mixed in. It's typically served over white rice, but sometimes over boiled potatoes.
  • Anticuchos - thin-sliced marinated beef heart, barbecued like a kabob. This is as common a street-vendor food in Peru as hot dogs are here in the states. And like street-vendor hot dogs, most are gross, but some are pretty darned delicious (my mother-in-law makes some mean anticuchos).
  • Agauadito de pollo - a chicken and vegetable soup that is very heavily flavored with cilantro, and then made spicy with blended rocoto peppers. Fresh lime is frequently added at the time of serving. The cilantro makes the soup a very deep green. It's my favorite soup.
  • Papa rellena, Peruvian-style tamales, causa rellena (my favorite potato dish ever), etc., etc., etc.
We've been to a half-dozen Peruvian restaurants in the states, but you never quite get the legitimate Peruvian food here. My wife makes a lot of dishes pretty well, though, so we get by :-)

~BenDilts( void );

Lucidchart: Online Flow Chart Software; Lucidpress: Digital Publishing Software

#5 Koobazaur   Members   -  Reputation: 691

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:19 AM

Is this asking what country's cuisine is best, or which country is best to go for for food (there is a difference)? I am going to roll with the latter just because it seems more interesting.

If I was gonna pick one country which I'd go to just for food, I'd say... Japan. Gimme some of the milk with meronpan for breakfast and some katsudon, kaitenzushi, gyudon or okonmiyaki for dinner. Yum yum! And freshly made taiyaki for dessert with anko filling. Yummmm!

Other cuisines I love are Mexican and Indian, but I'm not sure I'd jump on a plane to get there as readily as Japan, lol. Especially since you can get decent quality replicas of those in other countries as well (whereas, for instance, bad sushi is really bad sushi).

Postmortem: one must die -  Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

#6 JustinDaniel   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:18 AM

Mexico. I mean it

#7 Smeagol   Members   -  Reputation: 133

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

This is a tricky question, I've traveled a fair bit but haven't always been in a position to try the local cuisine. I'm a big fan of curries, especially Ghurka curries, as well as Mediterranean style food (i.e. ham, cheese, pasta and olives etc), Bosnia has some good dished though it's mainly lots of meat and I'm guessing not good for you in large doses, Tenerife also has some good food, which seems to be a mix of Spanish with some African influences.

However, I would still vote for the UK as nothing beats a proper Sunday roast.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared, to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heartrending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his training shoes.

#8 ChurchSkiz   Members   -  Reputation: 458

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:53 PM

Hands down the best food in one single country is Italy. I was there for two weeks and did not taste a single bad thing, pizza, wine, cheese, chocolate, ice cream, plain tomato sauce, alfredo sauce, meatballs, sausage, chicken....everything tasted like it was made by Jesus himself. Even the airport food rocked my world.

I haven't been to Japan but I imagine I'd like that too, most of it anyway.

I'm a sucker for Bavarian (big hunks of meat, pretzels, cheese, good beer), but the rest of the food in Germany I could pass on.

It's a hard question because there's good food everywhere...

#9 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

Mexico. I mean it

I think I would agree with this. Mexican food gets a bad rap for what Americans do to it, but Mexican food from Mexico is very much a thing of beauty. Not necessarily the most elegant or proper food, but omnomnomnomnom.

I would say that I'd give France an honorable mention for me just for their desserts.

#10 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 16415

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

Turkish food is divine. I'm also a big fan of New Mexican food, which is actually pretty unlike anything from Central/South America and a damn sight better than what those Texan whackos call "food" ;-)

#11 Lode   Members   -  Reputation: 982

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

I also like the food from Thailand quite a lot! Especially the chicken and the prawns.

#12 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8764

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

The food from the country you're just about to try for the first time. Variety > *.

#13 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 933

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

I live in Canada and personally am not a fan of Canadian Cusine....I find it lacking major flavour. I love Italian and Mexican food.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

www.gwnp.ca

#14 landagen   Members   -  Reputation: 376

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

Thailand hands down for me. No place has ever compared. I love the spice and coconut they use. They also use lots of vegetables and have a lot of interesting flavors combined together.

I personally love Texas Tex-Mex. We Texans know it is not mexican food. It is all of the outsiders that think otherwise. I love Mexican food as well. Love me some street tacos. Also, Texas barbeque is definitely some of the best.

I only ate at one restaurant in France and it was good, but not mind blowing. I also love this Turkish restaurant I have down the street owned by Turkish natives. Best Gyro I have had. Makes me want to go to Turkey to taste their other food. I need to visit Italy. Italian food in America is way too rich with way too much fat and carbs and not enough vegetables. I am sure italians don't eat that way everyday.

#15 Krokhin   Members   -  Reputation: 218

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

Japaneese food seems me the best for everyday life, for long life at all.
Vietnam food also is very good and "pure national".
Thailand... They cook any food great .

#16 Tachikoma   Members   -  Reputation: 552

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:58 AM

Not sure what to pick really, but I rate Eastern European (particularly Hungarian), Mexican, South American, Indian and Chinese.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad

#17 Wan   Members   -  Reputation: 1366

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:58 AM

I happen to be from Belgium though.

Upvote for anything Belgian. God I miss their frieten.

Other than that, I don't think I've ever been to a place that doesn't have at least a few great dishes.

#18 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5793

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:48 AM

I live in Canada and personally am not a fan of Canadian Cusine....I find it lacking major flavour. I love Italian and Mexican food.

Ok, maple syrup, back bacon, poutine and beaver tails do not qualify as cusine!

although we do make some of the best candy in the world and cornered the market on flavoured potato chips!

Frankly if I was to be completely honest, the answer is probably the US. Italy is the obvious choice and France is mecca of sorts for fine dining, but the US is responsible for just so many new types of dining. I love BBQ, both styles; American Chinese and American Tex-Mex are completely different to their sources. Then there is Cajun and a few million fusion foods, especialy towards the south with heavy Cuban, Mexican and in the South West, Asian influences. To say nothing of being the birthplace of fast food and greasy spoon breakfasts.

Now for beer, Belgium would win hands down. I love me some Chimay.

#19 Bloodless   Members   -  Reputation: 113

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:54 PM

Real Mexican food is some of the best food I've ever tasted. When it's good, it's *great*! My first time eating real Mexican food literally brought tears to my eyes it was so good. Tex-mex is also something that I enjoy quite a bit.

I wouldn't go there for the food alone, but Iranian beef Kebab is also an extremely wonderful dish. If I could have one that that I would eat on a daily basis, it would definitely be this.

Also very fond of Korean food, particularly South Korea. It's very delicious, and they also have some very unique twists to Americanized food as well. Korean BBQ is something I've never been able to turn down the opportunity of eating, so hopefully that says something.

I've never been to France, but I've got a few friends that have. They claim the food there is best they've ever eaten.

#20 quasar3d   Members   -  Reputation: 709

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:38 AM

What's wrong with Kraft Dinner?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS