• Create Account

General vibe of using SDL 1.3?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Trapper Zoid   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1370

0Likes

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:11 AM

What's the current status of using SDL 1.3 for 2D game development, compared to the mature SDL 1.2 or alternative libraries like SFML? It still seems to be in beta, but how quirky does "beta" mean in the case of SDL 1.3?

I'm getting back into some C style game development like I was several years ago and I'm checking out the current state of game libraries. Back then I was using SDL 1.2 so the natural choice is SDL 1.3 - the zlib licensing removes my biggest gripe about the old library. But in my preliminary hunt for resources I'm not getting the same vibe from SDL as I was back when I started. SDL 1.3 is still in beta and appears to be a footnote on its own webpage, sort of like how it was in 2009. I'm still leaning towards trialling SDL due to my history of working with it and to ease my de-rustifying my game programming, but I'd like to get a general feel of any general potential pitfalls I'm getting in to by blindly going with the new version.

Sponsor:

#2 JustinDaniel   Members   -  Reputation: 137

0Likes

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:33 AM

Comparing SDL 1.3 with SDL 1.2.

SDL 1.3 is a major update to the SDL 1.2 codebase. It replaces several parts of the 1.2 API with more general support for multiple input and output options. Some feature additions include multiple window support, multiple input device support (many mice, many keyboards, etc.), hardware-accelerated 2D graphics, and better Unicode support. You can look at the roadmap to get a sense of what needs to be done for the move to SDL 1.3. SDL 1.3, when finished, will eventually become SDL 2.0. SDL 1.3 also introduces a new licensing option, whereby one can obtain a commercial license to allow closed-source static linking. This opens up possibilities for distribution on platforms that do not allow dynamic linking

Unfortunately it's still in beta phase.
But i would guess SDL 1.3 would be a great leap in 2D programming.

*content taken from wikipedia*

#3 Trapper Zoid   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1370

0Likes

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:56 AM

SDL 1.3 has been in beta for years, so I'm wondering if that's due to slow development or whether they want to be really, really sure they've squashed all the bugs. I'm probably not going to be doing anything too far from the norm with my use of SDL so as long as 1.3 has a decent rep for cross-platform then it's fine. As rusty as I currenty am though I'm out of the loop on whether everyone has made the shift to SDL 1.3 or whether SDL 1.2 is where it's at for compatibility's sake.

The hardware acceleration for 2D graphics is nice. I used OpenGL with SDL 1.2 for accelerated textured for 2D sprites, but if 1.3 handles that for me I'll shift to using that.

#4 JustinDaniel   Members   -  Reputation: 137

0Likes

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:12 AM

really sure they've squashed all the bugs

That's what i am talking about, SDL 1.3 would be bug free and a updated version for all the 2D Graphic programmers out there!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS