• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Help choosing tools for development using C and Haskell

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gremory   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

Hello,

first of all, I would liek to say Hello, as this is my first post in GameDev.

Yes, I have read the FAQ, but I think it doesn't directly respond to my question.

I am studying GameDev at a university in Portugal, and I have two games to develop.

One in C and one in Haskell.

I would like some opinions on what engines or resources I should use in both C and Haskell.

I know there are alot resources for C++ and for C#, but what about C? and Haskell..

Could anyone recomend me some tools for me to lookover?

Thankyou, for your help.

Best regards,

Sponsor:

#2 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10171

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

For what platform? I don't know much about Haskell, but most C++ compilers are also C compilers and you generally can use the same tools for both.

#3 Gremory   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

For Windows. I wouldn't mind if it also worked in Linux.

For what platform? I don't know much about Haskell, but most C++ compilers are also C compilers and you generally can use the same tools for both.

#4 Ibasa   Members   -  Reputation: 183

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

We primarily used Hugs for Haskell at Uni, works on both Windows and Linux, although most of the PHD students recommended The Glasgow Haskell Compiler rather than Hugs.
And for C we normally used GCC, you'll need MinGW to run it on Windows.

#5 Gremory   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

For haskell I'm using Glasgow Haskell, and for C I'm using codeblocks.

Would you happen to know any library/engine to develop a game in C and Haskell?

We primarily used Hugs for Haskell at Uni, works on both Windows and Linux, although most of the PHD students recommended The Glasgow Haskell Compiler rather than Hugs.
And for C we normally used GCC, you'll need MinGW to run it on Windows.

#6 valderman   Members   -  Reputation: 512

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

You're going to want to use GHC for Haskell, most likely in the form of the Haskell Platform; Hugs is simply too slow (also, AFAIK it's just a REPL shell and doesn't come with a compiler.)

#7 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10171

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:35 PM

If you don't plan to use the latest C features then you may want to consider using Microsoft Visual C++, which can compile C files and has a debugger that, in my opinion, is easier to work with than Code::Blocks. On the other hand, you won't be able to use some of the fancier features that C99 added.

#8 Gremory   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

Hm, I'll check out those features.

In the meanwhile, can anyone sugest me an engine to lookout, or a tutorial on where to start developing a game?

If you don't plan to use the latest C features then you may want to consider using Microsoft Visual C++, which can compile C files and has a debugger that, in my opinion, is easier to work with than Code::Blocks. On the other hand, you won't be able to use some of the fancier features that C99 added.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS