• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

[Wanted] game programmer for creative sandbox adventure game (team of 6 so far)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 RedMattis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:27 AM

Game Name
No Sanctuary

Game Concept Summary
No Sanctuary is a Robinson Crusoe-like survival take on Fantasy. The player set lose in a wild fantasy world where he or she must gather resources, build and fight for his or her life.
We plan to not only let the player be creative and construct buildings in whatever shape they please, but also include a lot of cool trinkets to make the strife against the world a bit easier and reward player ingenuity
The world will be randomly generated to keep things interesting, and a marching cubes-based system is used to randomly generate a gorgeous looking fully destructible environment for the player to explore.

The game is greatly inspired by the likes of Minecraft, Terraria and Dwarf Fortress, games well known for their successful game concepts in the indie scene.

Compensation
Since this is a unfunded indie project we cannot promise any pay, though if we are successful we may be able to fund the project based on pre-order/beta income like some indie-projects have done before. That said, we'd rather you join us to make an innovative awesome game, and not just for the money.

Technology
We're using a game engine called Unity 3D. It is a highly flexible game engine with support for C#, Java Script and Boo Script. The game is meant to be run well on a fairly average stationary computer.

Talent Needed
What we need is all the programming talent we can get. You don't need previous game programming experience, but you need to be able to meet deadlines and most importantly be motivated and have a positive attitude.

Team
Our current team is made up of three graphic artists, one game designer, one sound designer and one programmer.

Website
We don't have an official website yet, but we've got a blog where we occasionally post images or updates on the progress we've made so far.

Contact
Erik Mathias Bäcström
redmattis@gmail.com

You may also contact me through this thread of course.

Additional Info
If you want to know more, ask! Posted Image

Sponsor:

#2 Dan Mayor   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1713

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

Curious what kind of programming assistance are you in need of? Is the current coder is experienced and is taking the lead or are you still looking for someone to take that roll? Below is my GD Post, shoot me a line on one of my messengers when you get a chance and we can discuss a bit more in detail.

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/609719-offered-professional-programmer-designer-writer/

Digivance Game Studios Founder:

Dan Mayor - Dan@Digivance.com
 www.Digivance.com

#3 johnnycash   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

Hi!

I've some experience with Unity 3D (I've been on a project of about 8 people for some months and we use Unity3D too), so what would you need? I've done some scripts in JavaScript for that game.

#4 RedMattis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

Curious what kind of programming assistance are you in need of? Is the current coder is experienced and is taking the lead or are you still looking for someone to take that roll? Below is my GD Post, shoot me a line on one of my messengers when you get a chance and we can discuss a bit more in detail.

http://www.gamedev.n...esigner-writer/

As requested I contacted you on one of your messengers.

#5 RedMattis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

We're looking for programmers again.

If you didn't get a position on the team before, feel free to reapply and try again.

#6 jigwolf   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

why don't you have a website?
You have three designers, do you have concept art? Design docs?

I'm a programmer but I need to see more first before I commit.

#7 RedMattis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

why don't you have a website?
You have three designers, do you have concept art? Design docs?

I'm a programmer but I need to see more first before I commit.

Technically we have a website (sharkmissile.com), but it is more of a placeholder. There is a blog with some work in progress stuff though http://sharkmissilewest.tumblr.com/.

We have a ton of concept art from thumbnails (tiny brainstorming one-minute scetches) to more standard concept art and 3d-modelling reference images.

As far as documentation goes we've got a "Design Document" for the general game vision, a "Technical Design" document for implementation (inventory system details, combat system details) as well as an "Art Direction" document for the art direction. Aside of this we have a number of small supplement documents such as as the "Plant Supplement" which contains all the details about the plants in the game.

Tell me which one you'd like to see and I'll send it over.

Concept Art:
Posted Image
Giant rat. Cell-shaded for speed. Posted Image

Posted Image
Outfit idea for player characters to start out with. The idea of having a shipwrecked thorn outfit for the player to start out with is gaining popularity though.

Those images were drawn by me by the way and I'm more of a 3D artist than a 2D artist. Posted Image

A few more images uploaded here. http://imageshack.us...es2a4color.png/.

#8 TheeLord   Members   -  Reputation: 124

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Looks interesting, Good luck! we're doing something kinda similar as far as game concept goes, check it out at [link removed]

#9 RedMattis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

Looks interesting, Good luck! we're doing something kinda similar as far as game concept goes, check it out at [link removed]

Your project looks cool and I wish you the best of luck with it, but please remove the blatant plug. Posted Image

#10 dtkaos   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hello, I am interested with your idea of sandbox free roaming game and I know programming with java and c# and have used unity before.

thanks.

#11 DemonRad   Members   -  Reputation: 290

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

nice conept arts. I was interested until I found it was another minecraft clone. It's ok try to gain some success, but there are hundreds of people trying to make their own MC clone. Good luck anyway. It seems lot more interesting than similiar projects ;-) (i made too a simple clone of MC using only OpenGL for school project)

Peace and love, now I understand really what it means! Guardian Angels exist! Thanks!

#12 RedMattis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hello, I am interested with your idea of sandbox free roaming game and I know programming with java and c# and have used unity before.

thanks.

Thanks for showing interest in the project,

Could you give me a general description of your previous experiences?

What sort of programming experience do you have? Can you write clean code?

Do you have any past project experience? Have you worked with other programmers before?

etc.

Also, feel free to tell us a bit about yourself, what kind of games you play, hobbies, or whatever else you feel like adding.

#13 RedMattis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

nice conept arts. I was interested until I found it was another minecraft clone. It's ok try to gain some success, but there are hundreds of people trying to make their own MC clone. Good luck anyway. It seems lot more interesting than similiar projects ;-) (i made too a simple clone of MC using only OpenGL for school project)

And thousands of people are trying to make action games, platformers and what have you. Posted Image

Considering how much times has been spent exploring those and similar genres I'd say if anything innovating in the survival sandbox-genre is easier.

As an example, most action games have one or two special features such as flipping gravity, possessing foes, or being able to make holes in walls, but are otherwise very similar. You run around attacking enemies that present themselves in the same way that it has been more or less done since the first Doom. (well, perhaps that was a bit unfair, but you get my point)

No Sanctuary in contrast to Minecraft doesn't use boxes and instead generates smooth polygon landscapes with the (previously patented and thus unusable) Marching Cubes algorithm. You build houses out of polygons, fight in more of a more Gothic/Elder scrolls fashion along with a bunch of other stuff.

The goal of the project isn't to make Minecraft-but-better, the goal is to create a new innovative game, and I'm certain that if I took the train to Stockholm and asked Notch he'd endorse it, especially since in the past I recall he has even complained that he liked how other game developers got inspired by Minecraft, but sad that most of the 'inspired' games were mostly rip-offs that did little more than copy his game.

Anyway, thanks the feedback. Nice to see it at least sounded "a lot more interesting than similar projects" to you Posted Image

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS