• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Finding which Block Clicked

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheDuceCat   Members   -  Reputation: 138

0Likes

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

I am making a very simple 2D sandbox game, kind of a clone of Terraria. When the player clicks a block, I want it to delete. I'm not sure how I'm going to do this. The only way I could think was to make a Rectangle object surround the block, then using a for loop to cycle through every single block and check if the mouse's co-ordinates are contained in the Rectangle, but it seemed way too inefficient.

I'm using Java and Slick2D.

Sponsor:

#2 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20283

1Likes

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

How are you drawing the blocks? Use the same positioning you use to draw the blocks to get their physical location in the game world, and calculate the location of the mouse in the game world.

Example:
Block = (MousePos + CameraPos) / BlockSize;

Block is the cell that a block may or may not be in. You can usually use this to get the index into your array of blocks, if you have one, with something like this:
Index = (Block.y * NumBlocksWide) + Block.x;
(If your blocks are stored that way in memory).

CameraPos is the location of the camera (usually the upper-left corner of the screen) in the game world, in pixels. MousePos is the location, in pixels, relative to the upper-left of the screen (which is why MousePos + CameraPos equals the position of the mouse in the game world). BlockSize is the constant size of the grid cells of your world.l

This is assuming you are using a grid-based system for blocks. If not, you can partition your game world into chunks, and have a list of objects in each chunk, and then only check if the mouse is in the bounding box of any object in that chunk.
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#3 TheDuceCat   Members   -  Reputation: 138

0Likes

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

How are you drawing the blocks? Use the same positioning you use to draw the blocks to get their physical location in the game world, and calculate the location of the mouse in the game world.

Example:
Block = (MousePos + CameraPos) / BlockSize;

Block is the cell that a block may or may not be in. You can usually use this to get the index into your array of blocks, if you have one, with something like this:
Index = (Block.y * NumBlocksWide) + Block.x;
(If your blocks are stored that way in memory).

CameraPos is the location of the camera (usually the upper-left corner of the screen) in the game world, in pixels. MousePos is the location, in pixels, relative to the upper-left of the screen (which is why MousePos + CameraPos equals the position of the mouse in the game world). BlockSize is the constant size of the grid cells of your world.l

This is assuming you are using a grid-based system for blocks. If not, you can partition your game world into chunks, and have a list of objects in each chunk, and then only check if the mouse is in the bounding box of any object in that chunk.

Yeah, I can't believe how simple this solution is. I completely forgot.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS