• Create Account

Where do I start?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Krishath   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:37 PM

Hello guys, I know that this question has been asked thousands of time but I don't know what should I do to "create" a base for my future knowledge. I'm a Computer Science in a university and I'm currently developing on C. I'd love to take a master course in Game Development but, for that, I should wait 3 years (you know, you have to take a "first level" degree first! Posted Image) and sincerely I would like to start developing something right now. It can be anything, I just want to enter the "mentality" of GameDev. So, any suggestion? Thank you very much!

PS: Any good book?

[poll removed, please read the FAQ -- jpetrie]

Sponsor:

#2 tkarnau   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hello guys, I know that this question has been asked thousands of time but I don't know what should I do to "create" a base for my future knowledge. I'm a Computer Science in a university and I'm currently developing on C. I'd love to take a master course in Game Development but, for that, I should wait 3 years (you know, you have to take a "first level" degree first! Posted Image) and sincerely I would like to start developing something right now. It can be anything, I just want to enter the "mentality" of GameDev. So, any suggestion? Thank you very much!

PS: Any good book?

I started with Allegro using c/c++ a few years ago. There are probably better options for library capabilities, but for a simple grasp on learning a game library in a simple 2D environment, Allegro worked well for me. There are some good books covering it. http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/1592003834

There is a newer version of Allegro now, but that's where I started on my own before college.
Here is a tutorial on the newer stuff a friend of mine tried and liked:
http://fixbyproximit...me-development/

I'm suggesting this because I assume your university is going to teach you c/c++ for the first year or so with some architecture classes.

Edited by tkarnau, 02 December 2011 - 03:31 PM.

#3 Krishath   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:21 AM

Perfect, thank you very much!

#4 Mike Geig   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:46 PM

Ah, hey. You posted my site! Glad you (or your friend) liked it.

#5 tkarnau   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

Ah, hey. You posted my site! Glad you (or your friend) liked it.

Yes. I looked through it myself for a while too. It's very easy to understand and had I had it long ago, I'd have learned 2D basics much quicker.

I also really liked the mappy (re?)integration video.

#6 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5266

0Likes

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

Language, library, book and tool selections can be found here. This should be enough to get you started with game development from a technical level.

As to a masters... well that's a whole different conversation. In this field, I frankly wouldn't do it, unless you are one of those people that enjoy education for education's sake ( and have a budget to allow it ).

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS