• Create Account

I want to get involved Where to Start?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Xanthier   Members   -  Reputation: 181

0Likes

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

Hi,

I know there are quite a few topics with similar titles, but I wanted some guidance for my particular situation. I'm interested in creating and/or being a part of a team creating a game. Programming is not my line of expertise, however. I'm more of a designer/ artist when it comes to games. I have an idea for a 2d iso rts that I'd like to get made into a game but I'm not sure how to go about finding the right people to pitch it to. I have some graphics made so people can get a feel for the game's look because I know people are very visual.

I would also like to help with a 3d game project at some point and I'm wondering what skills teams would be looking for to help with something like that. I would also be open to making my own games to start if it's recommended. I have multimedia fusion which can make 2d games. In terms of commitment. I would work on the side of my job, but I would really like to develop games for a living and have wanted to since I was a child. I'm in my late 20's now and I figure it's never too late to start.

Thanks for the help,

Ian

Sponsor:

#2 CryoGenesis   Members   -  Reputation: 495

0Likes

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hi,

I know there are quite a few topics with similar titles, but I wanted some guidance for my particular situation. I'm interested in creating and/or being a part of a team creating a game. Programming is not my line of expertise, however. I'm more of a designer/ artist when it comes to games. I have an idea for a 2d iso rts that I'd like to get made into a game but I'm not sure how to go about finding the right people to pitch it to. I have some graphics made so people can get a feel for the game's look because I know people are very visual.

I would also like to help with a 3d game project at some point and I'm wondering what skills teams would be looking for to help with something like that. I would also be open to making my own games to start if it's recommended. I have multimedia fusion which can make 2d games. In terms of commitment. I would work on the side of my job, but I would really like to develop games for a living and have wanted to since I was a child. I'm in my late 20's now and I figure it's never too late to start.

Thanks for the help,

Ian

Hey Ian!

If you want to get into a team that is generally new to making games or doesnt put much pressure on people I would head straight for the Help wanted section
I recommend you make a website or sign up for a site that lets you make a free website and dump a portfolio on there to show off your works etc.

If your looking to get a job from the industry there are many routes but I will outline only two main ones.
Mainstream industry.
Indie industry.

If you would like to do game design for a living and get lots of money from it I would recommend mainstream but indie can earn just as much and more depending on how good the game goes.

So basically I think you should start on the help wanted part of the forum.
Get yourself a nice looking portfolio.
Get yourself known on the forum.
Write some kind of CV around your achievements (make sure you have some nice looking FINISHED projects)
Send it to everyone you can think of that works or is liked to the mainstream industry (for example you know a guys whose brother is a game designer at EA or something ^_^)
Go round to conferences and show off your work to fellow developers and grab some productive critisism off of everyone.
sent lots of job offers.
Profit?

PS: please dont do what I just said due to the fact that I have never done any of thoes things apart from 1 + 2 but I do strongly suggest 1,2 and 3

#3 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

0Likes

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

I am going to direct you to the FAQ. Which is the link right above your OP. Some of your answers should be answered there.
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#4 freeworld   Members   -  Reputation: 325

0Likes

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

Start putting a portfolio together, of your art. Start researching about writing a design doc, then write one. Let people laugh at it, throw it away. Then write another one to prove them wrong. Then find a simple engine or modable game that you can use to put a prototype together. Get some legal advice. Pitch your idea to everyone. Don't fight back when people say your idea is dumb. Be polite, ask them why, and try to improve.
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.

#5 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9451

0Likes

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

1. I'm interested in creating and/or being a part of a team creating a game. Programming is not my line of expertise, however. I'm more of a designer/ artist when it comes to games.
2. I have an idea for a 2d iso rts that I'd like to get made into a game but I'm not sure how to go about finding the right people to pitch it to.
3. I have some graphics made so people can get a feel for the game's look because I know people are very visual.
4. I'm wondering what skills teams would be looking for to help with something like [3D games].
5. I would also be open to making my own games to start if it's recommended.
6. I would really like to develop games for a living and have wanted to since I was a child. I'm in my late 20's now and I figure it's never too late to start.

1. You need to start making a portfolio. This is a Breaking In question, not a technical beginners question.
2. "People to pitch it to"? Do you have money to hire a team? If not, then read FAQ 1. This is a Business question, not a technical beginners question.
3. You need a GDD if you are serious about getting your idea developed. Read FAQ 2. This is a Game Design question, not a technical beginners question.
4. Go to the Breaking In forum and read the FAQs.
5. You do need to build a portfolio.
6. If you want to get a job in the profession, read the Breaking In FAQs. If you want to develop on an indie basis, you probably need to learn to program. Read this forum's FAQs.
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#6 Xanthier   Members   -  Reputation: 181

0Likes

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

First, to those who took time the to post long responses, thank you. I appreciate the guidance, this is the most helpful forum I have been on in a while. The FAQ did not really answer any of the questions I had. This has given me a lot to work on. I already have a GDD in process and I just secured my own website address. I have some direction to take now.

Can anyone tell me if there are any game tools capable of making an RTS or is finding a programmer the best bet? I've heard of Stratagus but that's just an engine. Could be a good engine for a programmer to work with though.
<br><br>Tom - thanks for responding, you're somewhat of a legend in GD.&nbsp; I've read a lot of your articles on game design and they were very helpful.<br><br>Does anyone recommend starting a development journal?<br><br>Ian

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS