• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Your most memorable childhood game?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
70 replies to this topic

#1 naf456   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

I'm just doing some research into what makes certain games soo memorable.

To me, the 2 best games i can remember was, super mario sunshine- it just was an amazing game- i love the concept of water in the use of gadgets throughtout the game.

Also, stargox adventure- the graphics are stunning considering it was on the gamecube...

Like the wii, i think the gamecube deserves more respect... It tried to be more, instead of just better, which some of other platforms do.

And later on, ofcourse, my love of my sad boring pathetic life - Halo... I hate bungie for making that game! It's why I have no girlfriends! :D

Anyone else want to share anyideas?
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
—Will Rogers

Sponsor:

#2 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1771

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

Reading Rabbit and Math Blaster/Reading Blaster. Amazing games when I was a little kid since the gameplay was really fun. A little bit after that I played Doom 1 which blew those games away. :lol:

#3 MajorTom   Members   -  Reputation: 715

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

I too absolutely loved Super Mario Sunshine - it was just fun! Plus the music was amazing.

My most memorable game, was a Sega Megadrive game named Soleil. It was the story, the visuals, the gameplay, the challenges and the music that were amazing.
You played a boy who just turned thirteen, and had to defend the town from "monsters". Suddenly one day, when playing the playground, a witch puts a spell on you, and you can no longer understand humans, but can talk to animals. You start to see the world from the animals' perspective, and by saving the animals, they offer to help you in return. It puts a great spin on the idea of what a monster is, as at one point you get transformed into a "monster" and a "hero" tries to kill you... he's rather strong too. On return to your "monster" family, you see that they just want to be left alone. It covers lots of locations, from beaches, towns, icecaps, deserts and underwater too.

The game also went by the name "Crusader of Centy" .. or something similar.

I doubt you'd be able to find a cartridge these days, though I know if you're adamant on playing it, you can.

I'd love to remake this game in 3D...

Saving the world, one semi-colon at a time.

#4 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 31022

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

From teenagehood - Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis - Instead of mowing down hundreds of aliens/nazis/whatever, it's realism, scope and requirement to think made it the antithesis of every other FPS game that existed at the time.
I most remember an early mission in the campaign where you're the sole survivor from your squad, low on ammo, cut off behind superior Russian forces, with 1 hour (real-time) to cross several kilometres of open-ground and forests to reach safety -- I remember scavenging for binoculars to avoid conflicts, rather than being an action hero. Also have strong memories of a later mission where you are captured pending execution and have to navigate using the (real) stars, as your captors took your compass.

From childhood - Another world - a brutal and immersive platformer adventure. The animation style at the time amazed me.

#5 Kryzon   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 3235

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

Posted Image

Rayman for PC DOS. Amazing graphics and awesome music. As a little kid it was difficult for me to play it at advanced levels; but then at teenage years I installed it again and went all the way, 100% protoons and levels.
The Rayman character danced and laughed, he had a personality. The levels were colorful. It was like an interactive cartoon.

Others I can think of are classics such as Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie and LOZ - Ocarina of Time.

#6 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20308

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

Quest 64

Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire

King's Field

Others I can think of are classics such as Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie and LOZ - Ocarina of Time.

Yes, yes, and yes!
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#7 fla   Members   -  Reputation: 483

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:49 AM

The Secret of Monkey Island, Another World, Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Superfrog. I remember Monkey Island and Another World for the involvement mainly, and the others for the fun.
[ Plith ]

#8 kauna   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2745

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:16 AM

My absolute favourite was Pool of Radiance on C64. One of the longest and hardest games I have played and finished.

Cheers!

#9 alnite   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2123

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:29 AM

My absolute favourite was Pool of Radiance on C64. One of the longest and hardest games I have played and finished.

Cheers!

Reminds me of Dragonlance: Dark Queen of Krynn. Also a hard game, and I haven't finished that.

#10 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6169

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:12 AM

Cheers!

Reminds me of Dragonlance: Dark Queen of Krynn. Also a hard game, and I haven't finished that.

First game i bought myself was Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (Another SSI goldbox game), definitly a great memory.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#11 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4922

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:02 AM

Pac-man, and roughly 10 years later Dungeon Master.

#12 froop   Members   -  Reputation: 636

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:18 AM

baldurs gate 2 is that game I'm always coming back to

jedi knight (not only because of the game but I was huge in the hacking scene lol)

first contact to games was on the apple II, way back, can't even remember the names

and the usual suspects.. monkey island, sam & max, populous, c&c, gabriel knight 2, myst, wing commander...

#13 MathewS   Members   -  Reputation: 294

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:03 AM

• Puffy Saga
  • Little Puff on C64
  • Dizzy
  • I cant remember what this one was called, but it involved going round a house/mansion trying to recover parts to build a car.
  • Various others from my C64 days

----------------------www.westernwars.comwww.ebgaming.com

#14 FableFox   Members   -  Reputation: 512

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:23 AM

Ultima 6, Ultima 8, The Dark Heart of Uukrul. And the other usual stuff. But RPG immersion me the most.

Faery Tale, (CGA days)

Super Mario 3 (NIntendo).
Fable Fox is Stronger <--- Fable Fox is Stronger Project

#15 NotYourAverageUser   Members   -  Reputation: 500

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:58 AM

NES - Duck Hunt, Gyromite, SuperMB
PC - Montezuma's Revenge (my cousin's best friend developed that game, so I played it regularly)
SEGA - Choplifter,
Genesis - Sonic and Eternal Champions and Mortal Kombat and Golden Axe (Awesome console!!!)

#16 ChurchSkiz   Members   -  Reputation: 455

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

For PC I remember always going to my friends house and playing jetfighter. I still love that game.

For consoles, my fondest memory is probably Phantasy Star (the original). I think I played that game every day for a year before beating it. So far ahead of its time....

#17 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

Starfox, Donkey Kong Country, and Super Mario World; mostly because I would play them with my dad. Not really for any gameplay reason other than the fact that they were fun enough to not get switched out for another game.

#18 benryves   Members   -  Reputation: 1994

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

On the BBC Micro: Fire Track, Repton and Imogen.
On the IBM PC: Prince of Persia.
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

#19 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

Sonic the Hedgehod 2. Altered Beast. Alex the Kid. Those are probably my top three from my earliest youth.

Later in life, it was NFL Blitz, Mario Kart 64, NHL Hitz, James Bond 007, and Star Fox 64.

Then later it was Halo, Starcraft, Warcraft 3.

I'm not sure exactly what it is about each one that I love so much though.
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#20 Normalized   Members   -  Reputation: 105

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

combat atari 2600

Unreal one and total annihilation for pc

Soul calibur for Dreamcast

Starlancer for Dreamcast my first online shooter.

Yes, I went from an atari 2600 to a Dreamcast and my next console will likely be a xbox 720. I only upgrade once every 15 years.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS