• Create Account

New zombie game but no engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 harleythr   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

I want to make a parkour ( I.e climbing buildings jumping off ....) magic (think dual weliding plazmids, ) 1930ish to 40ish (retro style of art/deco ) of new yourk that also it has lvl up and crafting items but i have no indea for which engine to run it on!!! any suggestion

Sponsor:

#2 Confirm4Crit   Members   -  Reputation: 310

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

You're gonna have to list more information than that...
Camera angle? 2D or 3D? What languages do ya know, if any?
I am trying to dive into XNA myself, but Torque 2D also seemed pretty cool.

If you're doing 3D, I'd suggest Unity or UDK.

Twitter

Learning to code in general, Junior at FAU

#3 harleythr   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

any free versions it is pretty huge its firstperson/3rdx

#4 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6882

1Likes

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

Decide on a programming language first. It really doesn't matter a ton which one you choose, but I could suggest different Java, C++, C#, Python, etc. game engines, but I have no clue which ones would be relevant to you. Also recognize that you'll need to start small and begin with small prototypes as you learn more about programming and game development.
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#5 Confirm4Crit   Members   -  Reputation: 310

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

def. get a language and needs agenda down first before then.

you could use XNA or UDK or Unity or Torque 3D or Source or....ya get the point.

Look at what you can do, want to learn, and want to achieve.

Twitter

Learning to code in general, Junior at FAU

#6 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3018

2Likes

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

You'd be surprised of what can be found on the net!
Problem is that google doesn't always knows whitch links should really be in the first page of our search...

PS: www.ebonyfortress.com/blog/free-game-development-libraries/
Some dude (was it Ben Sizer?) spent quite some time on this! Kudos to him!

#7 boogyman19946   Members   -  Reputation: 964

1Likes

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

You'd be surprised of what can be found on the net!
Problem is that google doesn't always knows whitch links should really be in the first page of our search...

PS: www.ebonyfortress.com/blog/free-game-development-libraries/
Some dude (was it Ben Sizer?) spent quite some time on this! Kudos to him!

dang dude, you really hit a jockpot with that link!
"If highly skilled generalists are rare, though, then highly skilled innovators are priceless." - ApochPiQ

My personal links :)
- Khan Academy - For all your math needs
- Java API Documentation - For all your Java info needs :D
- C++ Standard Library Reference - For some of your C++ needs ^.^

#8 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3018

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

It took me a while to find the source of this link (I've it bookmarked, don't really recalled the source).
But I found it, here it is: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/291432-list-of-free-libraries/
I didn't even remember I got it in here, gamedev forums!

Let's all rep+ the author!

#9 Chrono1081   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

I want to make a parkour ( I.e climbing buildings jumping off ....) magic (think dual weliding plazmids, ) 1930ish to 40ish (retro style of art/deco ) of new yourk that also it has lvl up and crafting items but i have no indea for which engine to run it on!!! any suggestion

Ok, I've seen some not so great advice in the posts above so I'll say this:

It doesn't sound like you have much experience. Without knowing your capabilities it would be hard to recommend anything. Not to mention the target platform is very important to know as well. If you do not have any skill in programming you will need to start there first, or you will be met with great frustration trying to build a game.

As for game style, you can really use almost any engine that is a 3D engine (Unity, UDK, etc).

The art style (art deco) has almost nothing to do with the engine and has everything to do with the artist creating the 3D objects used in the engine. You would need to find someone who has the skill set to make this kind of art work. Now, based on your engines capabilities and the capabilities of your target platform it may hinder the level of artwork (for example they couldn't model scenes with millions of ploys if you were targeting an iOS or Android device.)

As for your game features, they don't seem well thought out. No matter this again is not engine specific so much as it is scripting specific. If you are using Unity you would script this type of system, if you were using UDK you could use scripting or possibly make something in Kismet that handles this.

My advice would be to create a design document of your game with all the rules, levels etc in place. Once you have that then you can move on to creating the game.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS