[C++] Are compilers allowed to optimize ...

Started by
11 comments, last by Red Ant 12 years, 3 months ago
the following function away?

template < typename FloatType >
inline const bool is_NaN( FloatType number )
{
// A NaN doesn't compare equal to anything, not even itself.
return number != number;
}

Obviously, I intend to use this to test a floating point variable for NaN (not a number) ... can't use std::isnan() because our compiler doesn't support C++11. My worry is that the compiler might optimize the whole call away, on account of comparing a number to itself being so unbelievably stupid. <_<
Advertisement
We have the same method in our code and it is not optimized away (neither in visual studio nor gcc).

Just to be sure: do a little test project where you force a number to be nan (e.g. sqrt(-1) should produce nan, I think). Apply your nan check and have different output based on the result. Compile with full optimization and check the results.
I wouldn't be surprised if it optimized it away for integer-type variables. For floating point, I'm not sure though; seeing as it is a pretty standard test for NaN, I would expect compiler writers to be aware of this and not optimize it away.

[edit]

If you're using MSVC++, you may be able to use _isnan(). If you're not using MSVC++ and your compiler still doesn't support C's isnan(), I pity your soul.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
If a compiler optimizes that away, it has a bug. It cannot be optimized away precisely because of the behavior of NaNs. I think you are safe.
Personally I'd do this as a #define rather than a function; that way you don't need to worry about optimization or not.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

That doesn't make any sense. If the compiler can optimize it out of a function it can optimize it out of a define.

If a compiler optimizes that away, it has a bug. It cannot be optimized away precisely because of the behavior of NaNs. I think you are safe.

I suspected as much, but it's good to have it confirmed by you guys. Thanks. ;)
You might find this article interesting: Microsoft Visual C++ Floating-Point Optimization
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

the following function away?

template < typename FloatType >
inline const bool is_NaN( FloatType number )
{
// A NaN doesn't compare equal to anything, not even itself.
return number != number;
}

Obviously, I intend to use this to test a floating point variable for NaN (not a number) ... can't use std::isnan() because our compiler doesn't support C++11. My worry is that the compiler might optimize the whole call away, on account of comparing a number to itself being so unbelievably stupid. <_<

One note on style, regarding the const-qualified bool return-type (note: bool is a built-in type):
"[font="Georgia"]For built-in types, it doesn’t matter whether you return by value as a const, so you should avoid confusing the client programmer and leave off the const when returning a built-in type by value."
// http://linuxtopia.or...pter08_014.html
[/font]

One note on style, regarding the const-qualified bool return-type (note: bool is a built-in type):
"[font="Georgia"]For built-in types, it doesn’t matter whether you return by value as a const, so you should avoid confusing the client programmer and leave off the const when returning a built-in type by value."
// http://linuxtopia.or...pter08_014.html
[/font]

I'm aware of that, but I've made a habit of doing it just because it makes it impossible to write silly stuff like

is_NaN( 6.3433 ) = false;

P.S. Never mind, apparently for built-in return types the line above is always impossible to compile. So yeah, basically you're right ... I've been doing it wrong all these years. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement