Viability of a Game Design Degree

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 3 months ago
Simple question, with a follow up discussion.

I am 19, I spent 1 year at a local community college, and due to an extreme lack of interest at the time, I did very poorly in the 8 classes (Two semesters) that I took.

I'm currently taking a year off (until the next summer break) before attending college again.

I've been looking at two career options, Game Design, and the Cyber Warfare (Defense/Offense) area. I have little experience in either group, but strong interest in them.

I can design game ideas in my sleep. As far as storyline and plot goes, I write plot and storyline for fun. But with Cyber Security I have no experience.

Question 1) What colleges would be good for a game design-related degree? DigiPen? (Don't say Full Sail, already discussed that somewhere else)
-Cost of the BS-Game Design is $160k. (At DigiPen)
Question 2) If a Game Design degree isn't a choice, what other degree's would be valuable for someone looking to enter the industry?

Thanks for your time.
Advertisement
1. Read the FAQs.
2. You can click the FAQs above.
3. Mini-polls like this don't get you good results. I wrote this month's IGDA column on the topic, in fact.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Embarassingly, I was looking for the FAQ before I started this topic and couldn't find it. After posting it, I in fact found it.

$160k seems very expensive for DigiPen.

I'm most likely interested in a Computer Science degree, but not sure how to make that degree relevant and attractive to game design employers.
I'm most likely interested in a Computer Science degree, but not sure how to make that degree relevant and attractive to game design employers.

By using the knowledge you gain in the degree program to make an awesome game portfolio. Like it says in the FAQs.
Since you've started a new thread with this exact same question, I'll close this one.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement