• Create Account

GameDev.net 2012

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
124 replies to this topic

#41 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1903

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

Looks clean and seems to work smoothly. I do have some remarks though: I don't like the black bar on top, it seems out of theme and only a small portion of it is actually used, wasting a lot of space. I think the previous solution looked better.
I not very fond of the vertical space used at the top of the site, this is probably because of the new login bar plus the announcement taking up a lot of vertical space.

Bugs/errors: hovering over the advanced search icon displays a blank blue box, seems like an error to me.
Under classifieds -> Indie Projects it says:

Are you looking for a team to join or for someone to join your team? Post about it here. Note: This forum is to help hobbyists and independent game developers connect. Commercial game jobs should be listed here.

Did you miss a 'not' in the last sentence?

Thanks for putting so much effort into this website!

[Edit] Seems like this post of mine doesn't show up in 'My Content'.

Sponsor:

#42 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5044

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

Btw, a question out of the blue, are forum avatars and profile avatars now unified? They weren't in the last version of GD, and I noticed my forum avatar has now changed into what was previously my profile avatar.

Correct, there is now one image for your profile and avatar. I know, I like it too!

Looks clean and seems to work smoothly. I do have some remarks though: I don't like the black bar on top, it seems out of theme and only a small portion of it is actually used, wasting a lot of space. I think the previous solution looked better.
I not very fond of the vertical space used at the top of the site, this is probably because of the new login bar plus the announcement taking up a lot of vertical space.

Mods and admins get a bit more use out of the black bar area - it's not going anywhere. We'ev also economized the top area of the screen as much as possible. If you have specific points of improvement you'd like to offer we're listening but I can't see it getting any smaller. It's all vital info up there.

Might take a good couple of minutes. I'm pretty sure it's not instantaneous.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#43 Storyyeller   Members   -  Reputation: 212

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

How do I collapse subforums?

Also, email notification seems to have stopped.
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.

#44 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5044

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

How do I collapse subforums?

Collapse them where? I'm not aware you can collapse them anywhere. But on the main forum index if you want to collapse groups of forums you can do so by clicking the minus button that appears when you hover over the dark blue group title bar. If you're looking to collapse these first few forum groups to get at the forums further down I suggest you use the menus at the top - they all lead straight to these forums lower down in the index

Also, email notification seems to have stopped.

Check your settings and let us know if notifications have been changed for you

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#45 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 20509

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:18 PM

What about this right below the search bar? Everything you subscribe to is listed here..

Yep, on the forum just choose "Join this Group" and that will add that forum to your watched list. It will also allow others to see your journal posts, articles, etc. in the member activity forum tab.

I have joined several groups, and it seemed my previous forums were turned into those watch lists with the upgrade.

When I attempt to view them under the search bar, I get: "

Sorry, we could not find any content you are following"

When using the "Watched Content" link it split across two pages and requires four clicks to get them all. The first is "Watched Content ... Forums" to give the forum list, then "Developer Journals ... Blog" to get the second list. Contrast with it all being right on the main page under the older (<2010) board. Under the previous edition (2011) it was as a sidebar that you could push up to the top with a bit of CSS (which was covered under several developer blogs at last year's transition).

It does look like the content it is present, it just takes 4 clicks to reach and two different pages instead of it being the foremost items in the list as it has been in the past.

It seems very odd to have what may be the most important (watched topics and journals) require 4 clicks, but the stuff people are generally least interested in (a seemingly defunct workshop) as the foremost item on the forums.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#46 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5044

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:06 AM

It seems very odd to have what may be the most important (watched topics and journals) require 4 clicks, but the stuff people are generally least interested in (a seemingly defunct workshop) as the foremost item on the forums.

All the top-most forums on the forum index have no direct access via the menu bar. Therefore they are at the top so you don't have to visit the forum index and then scroll down to find them. I've shuffled the Community Interaction up above the Workshops forum. We'll be adding NeHe and AngelCode to the Technical menu

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#47 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:29 AM

We used to have a secondary title line when creating a thread. But it seems to have gone away. Can we bring it back? I've actually used that second title line quite a bit.

Way to add the tags! :thumbup:
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#48 Storyyeller   Members   -  Reputation: 212

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:55 AM

I found another bug. If you view a thread with a newly created post immediately after you create the post, there is no option to edit it. You have to refresh to be able to edit your last post.
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.

#49 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8165

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:19 AM

Much better. Now all we need to do is capitalize "content" on the page title and everything will be perfect. (Just kidding. My OCD isn't that bad.)

Done! =)

(testing a shared media attachment)

I can see the edit history on this post. Should edit history be visible to regular members? It used to be moderator only, AFAICT.

We used to have a secondary title line when creating a thread. But it seems to have gone away. Can we bring it back? I've actually used that second title line quite a bit.

One nice thing about the secondary titles was that newbies would often start their question there, even if they used really generic terms in the thread title (e.g. "Help" or "C++ problems").

#50 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5044

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:24 AM

Looks like IPS has done away with that second line completely.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#51 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5191

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:13 AM

I can see the edit history on this post. Should edit history be visible to regular members? It used to be moderator only, AFAICT.

Yes, the edit history is fully viewable - down the road members will get edit access to posts as well if they reach a certain reputation level. While it isn't as open as a wiki, it is more open than we have been in the past.

#52 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5191

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:14 AM

Looks like IPS has done away with that second line completely.

Yup, that no longer exists for 3.2 and won't be back.

#53 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1903

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

Mods and admins get a bit more use out of the black bar area - it's not going anywhere. We'ev also economized the top area of the screen as much as possible. If you have specific points of improvement you'd like to offer we're listening but I can't see it getting any smaller. It's all vital info up there.

Might take a good couple of minutes. I'm pretty sure it's not instantaneous.

You're right, it's showing up in My Content now.

Here are some suggestions with mockups:
header-color.jpg
Blue bar instead of a black bar seems more fitting to me.

suggestion.jpg
I'm not really noticing the rating/stars at the moment, I think centring it makes it stand out more. Also saves some vertical space.
suggestion-result.jpg

I also seem to be having a bug under Firefox 8.0 and 9.0.1, the menu has an additional black line when compared to Chrome.
Firefox:
firefox.jpg
Chrome:
chrome.jpg

Also, the favicon of the website is set to the Invision Power icon.

Hope that this helps and is worth trying out.

[Edit] Clicking on images no longer opens the overlay thingy it seems.

#54 GameCodingNinja   Members   -  Reputation: 162

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

I use the FireFox browser and it has the feature of spell checking as you type. This feature is no longer working with the new site.

#55 Rakso   Members   -  Reputation: 120

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

The new design and everything is realy great good job! But i have one complaint.. The page is sometimes loading pretty slowly.

#56 Tournicoti   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 683

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

I found this new version very cool Posted Image what's more it works perfectly; I really like the new avatar system, and the fact that there is no more the 'like/dislike' buttons in the loundge.
I always felt strange with the fact that we could bump easily (erroneously is my opinion) our reputation rate simply in casual talks that were not related at all with game developement, or telling jokes, and it intrinsically favored native english spoken people (at least people who can express very easily in english). I'll surely go more frequently in the loundge now Posted Image

Happy new year to the GameDev team and community !! And thank you Posted Image
Nico

#57 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

The customer GD Black CSS is broken! :cry:
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#58 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9574

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

tl;dr: I'm lazy.

I'm going to add another reason. I'm just not seeing that some threads have multiple pages with the page links off to the side. I click on the thread name and end up at the first page of a multipage thread.

#59 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5044

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

well if you've never visited a thread before wouldn't you want to start at the beginning anyway? And if you've already participated in a thread then you would either know already that it has multiple pages or you would jump to the newest post and not care about pages when revisiting anyway

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#60 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9574

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:59 AM

Clicking on the the thread title doesn't jump to the newest post. It seems to always opens the first page even if the newest post is on the second page. And yes, I would very much like to just jump to the first unread post and not care about about pages when revisiting. Unfortunately, that's not what clicking on the thread title does.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS