• Create Account

GameDev.net 2012

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
124 replies to this topic

#81 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

Can the info about the thread: Started by, Forum Name be highlighted some other color than gray. It's hard to see. Plus I liked it when the that information was more in tablular format. Such as: Thread Name, Forum, Last Post Date/Last Poster. Much easier to read.

I'm referring to the New Content page, by the way.

Any thoughts on this request, Mike?
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

Sponsor:

#82 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

Well the title doesn't have to be a link. It could be any other link near his name. It would just be nice if sellers had one.

Another thing, why isn't there a "Want to be GDNet Marketplace Seller? Click Here to Find Out How." link on the Marketplace page?

One last thing, new, highly rated, or most sold items in the Marketplace should show on the front page.

Completely different topic. I just saw something pop-up saying something like "1 reply added". Then it faded away while I was typing this post. What was that? It was pretty cool to see. Too bad I didn't get a chance to click.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#83 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5164

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

Completely different topic. I just saw something pop-up saying something like "1 reply added". Then it faded away while I was typing this post. What was that? It was pretty cool to see. Too bad I didn't get a chance to click.

If someone posts to a topic while you are still typing your own reply you can click that link and it will load it off our server so you can see it. I like the idea of the "Want to be a GDNet Marketplace Seller?" link. Also exposing more items in the topics is also going to be pretty important as well. I just want our members to have a fair shot of selling their wares.. especially when I know they put a lot of work into them to produce them and we have so many high quality products.

I did something with your request btw but I lost it due to the server crash.. (along with everything else I did to the site Thursday)

#84 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:51 PM

Out of curiosity, are you talking about title link to Marketplace request or the tabular request I made in post #81.

Spoiler

#85 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4840

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

Completely different topic. I just saw something pop-up saying something like "1 reply added". Then it faded away while I was typing this post

It faded away? That's not good I would think it should stay there until you click on it or make your post. I thought I saw that this feature would be included in the new board update but I hadn't seen it yet. This is probably why - I'm too focused on my reply window at the bottom of the screen to notice a small one-line box fade in at the top. It should really come up right above this quick reply box

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#86 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9497

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

Actually, I've seen it, and it didn't fade away and it was right above the quick reply box. Maybe it's browser dependent?

#87 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

I'm using FF 8.0.1 currently. It stayed for a good 10 to 15 seconds. I did try to right click on the link but that didn't work. It faded away shortly afterward.

Spoiler

#88 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

How do I add new tags? I had a Scheme/Functional language question but was unable to type it in the "Tags" textbox. Also, is Scheme/Lisp keyword highlighting supported by the Code tag?

Spoiler

#89 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9497

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, I was/am using Chrome. But thinking about it, I saw it working, seemingly correctly, before the crash, so maybe a change reverted something?

#90 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4840

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

How do I add new tags?

Hang tight, we now have a way to manage tags much better and will be starting open tagging this week

so maybe a change reverted something?

Perhaps. I did see it pop up once earlier and it behaved like Alpha_ProgDes mentioned for me as well - up at the top and then faded out.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#91 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

One more thing Posted Image

There used to be a little ? off to the upper-right corner (basically a Help Menu for the Reply section) that showed how to use tags and showed things like <Code="csharp"> and so forth. Where did that go?

Gaiiden, since you didn't respond to my other question, I take it that the Code tag doesn't support Scheme/Lisp keyword highlighting. :(

Spoiler

#92 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1738

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

Something I'd like to point out: the term classifieds, for me as a non-native speaker, did not ring a bell. The reason I checked it out is that I browsed all sections after the revision. I'm not sure how many people actually know this term or think to know it. I associated it with classified at first, which is something completely different. I realize it's more elegant than Jobs & Recruitment or something along those lines, but I think it's not clear enough.

#93 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5164

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

I realize it's more elegant than Jobs & Recruitment or something along those lines, but I think it's not clear enough.

Any suggestions? We were drawing blanks on alternatives - here in the states we call em classified ads.

#94 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/618127-how-to-make-games-for-the-absolute-beginnner/page__fromsearch__1

I see the Promote to Article button. I was hoping that it would send a flag to Gaiiden, or whoever is in charge of the articles now, to consider this post (or in this case the content in the link) an article. But this doesn't seem to be the case. Is there a way to have such functionality in the forums? I surely didn't want to make wildbunny's article a GDNet article without his permission :)

Spoiler

#95 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18178

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

I see that Servant of the Lord is a Marketplace Seller (congrats by the way), however, I wanted to see what he has in the Marketplace and clicked on the title. To my dismay, nothing happened. It was just text. Is there anyway, for the title to be a link and go to the Marketplace and show the software he's selling? Or have some functionality similar to that near his name/avatar?

Thanks - I've been a seller for several months now, selling tileart. It'd be very nice to have 'Marketplace seller' be a link to my stuff.
Currently, if you hover over my username, and click 'Find content', it brings you to this page, where on the left-hand bar ("By content type") you can click 'Downloads' and see this page.

Alternatively, on my profile page on the left-hand side, you can click 'Files'. and see them.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                            [Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#96 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

There needs to be a "hey n00b, here's how you use the site" page. I wouldn't even have thought hovering or even clicking on your username. I've never had to before on the old site. Boolean's quote (which is in my signature) had it right, lol.

Spoiler

#97 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4840

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

There used to be a little ? off to the upper-right corner (basically a Help Menu for the Reply section) that showed how to use tags and showed things like and so forth. Where did that go?

You're right that's gone. I never used it much so I didn't even notice. I have no idea why it's not there anymore I mean I did use it on occasion...

Gaiiden, since you didn't respond to my other question, I take it that the Code tag doesn't support Scheme/Lisp keyword highlighting. Posted Image

Sorry I was hoping Mike would answer that. I honestly don't know but AFAIK the Code tag doesn't support any syntax highlighting but the Source tag does. There's a list of support languages Mike made a link to it somewhere either here on the forums or in his journal or the staff journal. Try a search.

I see the Promote to Article button. I was hoping that it would send a flag to Gaiiden, or whoever is in charge of the articles now, to consider this post (or in this case the content in the link) an article. But this doesn't seem to be the case. Is there a way to have such functionality in the forums? I surely didn't want to make wildbunny's article a GDNet article without his permission Posted Image

Well it will make it into an article but I will still have to approve it as such before it becomes visible. So you can go ahead and use the button without worrying about the article popping up without the user's permission as I will contact the author when I see a new article in the queue waiting for approval. However two problems we'll need to tackle is that I don't get notified when a new article is submitted (already told Mike about this) and I won't know it was you who submitted the article not the author himself. At least I don't think so, which could cause a bit of confusion when I initially contact them.

Go ahead and use the button. Then post here when you've done so and I'll check the article DB and see how it shows up.

There needs to be a "hey n00b, here's how you use the site" page. I wouldn't even have thought hovering or even clicking on your username. I've never had to before on the old site. Boolean's quote (which is in my signature) had it right, lol.

We're working on this page which you can get to from the Home page. I don't think the Help Topics even has anything about the name cards though. There's a lot here I will admit I stumbled upon, like the Go To Last Post shortcut. I don't think IPS has ever had a real difinitive guide to every little feature around. For example there's nothing in the Help Topics on posting that mentions the Autosave feature. And there's nothing that mentions tagging either.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#98 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1738

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

Any suggestions? We were drawing blanks on alternatives - here in the states we call em classified ads.

That's a tough one, maybe others could jump in? I do think that something like Jobs & Recruitment would be better, even though it's not very elegant.

#99 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

Gaiiden just made Wildbunny's post an article. Though the actual content is through a link in the post.

Spoiler

#100 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4840

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

That's a tough one, maybe others could jump in? I do think that something like Jobs & Recruitment would be better, even though it's not very elegant.

There's also the consideration we need to make to keep the menu bar from growing too large laterally and breaking the styling on smaller screen resolutions. "Jobs & Recruitment" might be too long

Gaiiden just made Wildbunny's post an article. Though the actual content is through a link in the post.

Got it. I tweaked it a bit to not describe a singe tutorial since it links to a page that will list a bunch of them. Also what do you think about the process of clicking on the article link in the DirectX and XNA resources tab and then having to click on the external link to actually get to the article content?

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS