• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

GameDev.net 2012

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
124 replies to this topic

#101 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5239

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Gaiiden just made Wildbunny's post an article. Though the actual content is through a link in the post.

Whoops, sorry I approved the wrong article hah :P Ok turns out the Promote to Article makes it an article w/o waiting for me to approve it. Don't know if I like that...

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Sponsor:

#102 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

Unless the author requested otherwise, personally, I would like for the content to be right there. I'm a "as few clicks as possible" kinda guy Posted Image

If the article is not actually under article tab, can't it just go to the article?
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#103 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3651

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:06 AM

Now that I found the "Last Post" button with your help it has somewhat nasty behaviour. It's actually "last unread post". But if the thread is marked read the button is gone. I cannot go to the last post in that thread anymore unless doing it manual. Would be nice to still have the possibility to jump there.
Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

#104 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5239

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:47 AM

Unless the author requested otherwise, personally, I would like for the content to be right there. I'm a "as few clicks as possible" kinda guy Posted Image

If the article is not actually under article tab, can't it just go to the article?

It's been decided to keep the link in, so you will have to click through to the article. Besides letting people comment on the article locally, it also lets us populate the tab of related content so people who land on this link through a web search will possibly find additional content that suits them

Now that I found the "Last Post" button with your help it has somewhat nasty behaviour. It's actually "last unread post". But if the thread is marked read the button is gone. I cannot go to the last post in that thread anymore unless doing it manual. Would be nice to still have the possibility to jump there.

By "doing it manual" I assume you mean entering the thread and then scrolling down? A better option that also takes one click is to use the link for the thread's last post date - that will take you right to the end of the thread, which would be the last post you saw when you last read the thread if no new posts were made since then

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#105 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5239

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:50 AM

Anything with a Bug or Idea prefix has been added to our internal issues tracker - I've also went back through this thread and pulled out some things as well.

I'd ask that if you have any general topics to discuss you continue to do so here but if you have pointed feedback or a specific issue to report make a new thread and prefix it accordingly.

sankya veddy much

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#106 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2056

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

There's also the consideration we need to make to keep the menu bar from growing too large laterally and breaking the styling on smaller screen resolutions. "Jobs & Recruitment" might be too long

I understand. I've been giving it some thought and I came to the conclusion that Classified Ads, which was mentioned by Michael, would probably be the best fit here. Plus it's only 3 extra characters.

#107 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5239

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

Also, didn't we have https at one stage (if maybe briefly)? It doesn't seem to work anymore...

This is fixed now

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#108 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5239

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

Can the info about the thread: Started by, Forum Name be highlighted some other color than gray. It's hard to see. Plus I liked it when the that information was more in tablular format. Such as: Thread Name, Forum, Last Post Date/Last Poster. Much easier to read.

I'm referring to the New Content page, by the way.

Any thoughts on this request, Mike?

We'll be keeping this in the default style

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#109 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

My eyes are sad. Thank you Gaiiden .... :(

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#110 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8516

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

Also, didn't we have https at one stage (if maybe briefly)? It doesn't seem to work anymore...

This is fixed now

I appreciate the attempt, but this is only superficially fixed. The most important aspect, the login form, still uses HTTP regardless of whether it was loaded over HTTPS.

More generally, the site seems a little schizophrenic about whether it generates HTTP or HTTPS links. For example, the top menu buttons respect the current encryption state (being relative links), but linking to topics downgrades to HTTP (absolute links including protocol).

HTTPS for the entire session would be perfect. Forcing HTTPS just for the login form would be great. I know you guys are busy, so I won't push for either of these. However, HTTPS that cannot protect my login seems a little odd.

#111 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5435

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

Forcing HTTPS just for the login form would be great. I know you guys are busy, so I won't push for either of these. However, HTTPS that cannot protect my login seems a little odd.

Sounds like good reasoning. Done.

#112 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8516

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

Forcing HTTPS just for the login form would be great. I know you guys are busy, so I won't push for either of these. However, HTTPS that cannot protect my login seems a little odd.

Sounds like good reasoning. Done.

Seems to work great now, thanks!

#113 BLiTZWiNG   Members   -  Reputation: 349

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:20 AM

Liking the site a lot more now, seems all my bugs / pet peeves got fixed up, so good job!

#114 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5239

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

Bugs/errors: hovering over the advanced search icon displays a blank blue box, seems like an error to me.

Patched that up

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#115 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

I just got to the site and got a message saying that public.gamedev.net:443 has an invalid security certificate. Using FF 9.0.1 and Win 7.

Spoiler

#116 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5435

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

I just got to the site and got a message saying that public.gamedev.net:443 has an invalid security certificate. Using FF 9.0.1 and Win 7.

We're on it, thanks for the report.

#117 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

Well in case you thought you fixed the cert problem, it's back again.

Spoiler

#118 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3651

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:06 AM

The forum pages are getting increasingly slow. IE8 (on XP) gets stuck after a click on the new page for up to 5 seconds. There's no indication something is still loading though.

Plus the certificate problem sometimes.
Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

#119 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

I saw this post How to be a Successful Kickstarter and wanted to suggest it as an article (or even news post). Then I realized that my Promote to Article is gone!

Gentlemen. Where in the @#$@#$ is my Promote to Article?! Hmmmm

Note: special characters not meant to be actual vulgarity.

Spoiler

#120 Washu   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 5360

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

I saw this post How to be a Successful Kickstarter and wanted to suggest it as an article (or even news post). Then I realized that my Promote to Article is gone!

Gentlemen. Where in the @#$@#$ is my Promote to Article?! Hmmmm

Note: special characters not meant to be actual vulgarity.

I can't find a vulgar word that fits that number of symbols.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.
ScapeCode - Blog | SlimDX

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS