• Create Account

Can we use two directx9 devices to render on single screen

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yash14   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

Hi! I am rendering video along with some image slide show and a scrolling ticker. I am running my main application loop inside the present image function of IVMRImagePresenter9 interface of directshow. I am also using GMFBridge for seamless playbackBy doing this my application become dependent on the frames of the video. I have tried out many ways to properly sync my application with the video but video is flickering if I place my main rendering loop outside the presentImage function but if I put the main rendering loop inside the presentImage function then every thing works fine but my application frames per second becomes dependent on the frames of the video. Is it possible that i use two devices so that one device renders only video to the screen and the second device manages the other stuff of ticker and image slideshow.

Sponsor:

#2 Narf the Mouse   Members   -  Reputation: 318

0Likes

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

What you want is either to run the video asynchronously or multi-threading. Either one is none-trivial, the second more than the first.

#3 Yash14   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:44 AM

The video is already using multi-threading to run but it flickers beause of the same. I want to ask that can not I use two devices at the same time in the single application so that one device handles the video and the other device takes care of the slide show and the ticker.

#4 iedoc   Members   -  Reputation: 966

1Likes

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:16 AM

I think you want to look into device interoperabilty, where you use mutexes so you can use one device at a time. maybe i'm wrong, but you could check this out, it might be of interest

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd370966(v=vs.85).aspx
Braynzar Soft - DirectX Lessons & Game Programming Resources!

#5 carmangary   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:01 AM

I am currently using more than one Device per screen. I keep hearing I should use SwapChains and one Device but I haven't seen any issues using multiple Devices. So, it definitely works. Whether it is the best way to go is a question for debate.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS