• Create Account

Sprite Bounding Box tools?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigtunacan   Members   -  Reputation: 172

0Likes

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

I've googled and haven't come up with anything here.

I want to be able to load my sprites into a tool and create bounding boxes for my sprites that I can then save off to a file and load into my sprite class in game. Anyone know of a good tool out there for this already? I would love to not have to roll my own tool :)

Sponsor:

#2 BeerNutts   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2794

0Likes

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

Why would you want to do that? Any decent API that allows your to load a sprite will also allow you to get the width and height of the sprite. Isn't that all a bounding box is?
My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

#3 bigtunacan   Members   -  Reputation: 172

0Likes

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

@BeerNutts,

Width & height of sprite can be used as a bounding box in some situations; where you don't care what area of the sprite is hit; same goes for per pixel collisions. In my case I want to be able to define 1 or more bounding boxes for a sprite that allow me to define what specific area of the sprite was hit. For example, I want to be able to tell the difference of when a character is shot in the legs, versus the head, head shot is instant kill; leg shots take multiple hits, etc... This would be just one example where being able to define my own custom bounding boxes come in handy.

#4 BeerNutts   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2794

0Likes

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

OIC, I misunderstood. Well, outside of creating your own tool to do this, or to manually enter the data into an xml file, I'm not familiar with an external tool that does this.
My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS