• Create Account

Guidance requested!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Arcand   Members   -  Reputation: 11

0Likes

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hi!

two quck questions, im hoping to get in to game programming (yes, I mean small games, im not a garagantuan dreamer Posted Image ) and ive learned a good bit in C++, I know theres a hate towards this language but ive really taken a liking to it Posted Image . im thinking of buying a personal edition of a game engine to continue my learning with the source code, but id like to know two things first:

one, what would you personally say are the knowledge prerequisites (code-wise) for playing with a game engine? im preatty sure I match up but I really want to be sure about this.

Two, what engine is good for someone who simply wants to learn about making rts games?

thanks for all the assistance,

AJ

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 19635

0Likes

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

No, I would not recommend paying for such an engine.

As for someone who wants to start, download the free version of Unity3D. The designer view that it gives you up front makes it easy to get something visual up and running quickly. Once you actually get in to it you will quickly discover that you need to program huge swaths of things to change from a generic game in to your own personal game; you can use C# to customize the engine into your own game.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 Arcand   Members   -  Reputation: 11

0Likes

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

im actually not doing this to make a game perse, simply to learn how to program one! as far as I can tell unity3D is a visual editor im looking to code, in order to learn code, thank you but any recommendations on that?

#4 Arcand   Members   -  Reputation: 11

0Likes

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

I feel I need to re-iterate. im looking for an engine that will give me libraries and header files in for C++ that I can play with. Please advise.

#5 Rakso   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

I would recomend making Tetris or Snake..

#6 Strychnine.213   Members   -  Reputation: 156

0Likes

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

Arcand, I recommend downloading and taking a look at either Ogre3D or Irrlicht. Both of the rendering engines are open source, are written in C++, and use OpenGL, and or DirectX for rendering. I have worked extensively with Ogre3D, and highly recommend it (if you decided to use Ogre3D make sure that you download the source release instead of the SDK).

~ Strych.

EDIT: I forgot to answer your second questionPosted Image. There are many great engines for RPG's, but alot of them cost money, and those that don't only give you headers and compiled libraries. My advice, again, is download a rendering engine like Ogre3D, learn how to implement stuff like physics (Ogre3D uses a plugin system and has plugins for linking with with stuff like Nvidia PhysX -- with full source code), and build your own little engine. If you go this route you will have all of the source code for everything, and you can see indepth how this stuff works. If you have any more questions, or need some help pm me.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS