• Create Account

Applications of Shaders for a semester project

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 anujkaliaiitd   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:38 AM

Hi!

I am searching for some cool applications of shaders (openGL) for a 4-months long college project. We want to write shaders for certain graphics applications which people sometimes do on the CPU, but which perform better when done on the GPU using shaders.

We have thought about the following 2 applications:

1)Shadow Voumes: create the shadow planes using the Geometry Shader.
2)Hardware Skinning/Animation: use vertex shaders to apply bone matrix transformations.

Can some share more interesting applications of shaders (Vertex/Geometry/Fragment) which we can consider in our project?
Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4905

0Likes

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

You could try to implement a ray tracer in the GPU. It has been done before, but with only 4 months to do it in, you will need to try to get it done quickly. Hardware skinning is fairly standard in modern rendering engines, so I would suggest not doing that one. Also, I think there is a sample program for shadow volume generation in the DirectX SDK, so that one might not be suitable either...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS