• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Finding the Correct PC Game Dev Route

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 DalisayDa   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

Hello!
I am an avid Computer Programmer, and have spent about 3 years now learning and attempting to be fully knowledgeable in different programming languages. I am strongest in Java, C, and C++. I am also very strong in Python and Perl. I am also a video game fanatic - especially in PC gaming. I was wondering if anyone could assist me by providing any preferred languages/tutorials/websites/books or any additional information that would help me get started with PC game development? I realize that my asking of these questions makes the process of learning game development seem somewhat linear and underestimated, but I am trying to find a good starting place. I have many game ideas and I have created small Java and C games on GUI applications. I have created many games on GUIs such as Bomberman, Tetris, Minesweeper, and my own demo of Fire Emblem(turn based rpg). Even though I have created working games on stand-alone applications and web applets, I REALLY want to create a strong in PC game development and find a correct route in order to do so.

I am fully open to any advice and suggestions at any time.
Please feel free to also email me at dalisay_david@hotmail.com .

Thank you,
Dave

Sponsor:

#2 menyo   Members   -  Reputation: 485

0Likes

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

The hard way: Learn DirectX or OpenGL to make games pretty much from scratch.

But since there are a lot of libraries already out there you might want to look into something like SDL for C++. Or even easier XNA for C#. Since you are experienced with C/C++ these should be a easy for you. These tools give you a lot of freedom, and if your all alone on this one you should really consider using a such a library/framework.

Current Project: TechnoFlux read all about it on my

DEV BLOG

#3 boogyman19946   Members   -  Reputation: 1071

0Likes

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

It looks to me like you're on a pretty good path. I think it's up to you to figure out where to go now, really. You should ask yourself what you want to know and go learn. :)
"If highly skilled generalists are rare, though, then highly skilled innovators are priceless." - ApochPiQ

My personal links :)
- Khan Academy - For all your math needs
- Java API Documentation - For all your Java info needs :D
- C++ Standard Library Reference - For some of your C++ needs ^.^

#4 DalisayDa   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

Thank you, yes. I really enjoy projects such as those. I understand that OpenGL is friendly with C. I'll definitely look into SDL then. Thank you.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS