• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Sound isn´t playing

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 IceBreaker23   Members   -  Reputation: 618

0Likes

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

Hi!
I´ve tried to use the simple sound-API of java.

File f = new File( "menu_sound.wav" );
		AudioClip sound = null;
		try {
			sound = Applet.newAudioClip( f.toURL() );
		} catch (MalformedURLException ex) {
			Logger.getLogger(SoundTest.class.getName()).log(Level.SEVERE, null, ex);
		}
		sound.play();
		try {
			Thread.sleep( 100000 );
		} catch (InterruptedException ex) {
			Logger.getLogger(SoundTest.class.getName()).log(Level.SEVERE, null, ex);
		}

there is no error but i cant hear any sound.

Please help me ;)

Sponsor:

#2 medv4380   Members   -  Reputation: 98

0Likes

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

It wont throw any errors even if the file does not exist. .toURL() is also depricated you should use f.toURI().toURL()
The Java Sound API is limited and even more limited when you use the Applet code to start it up. You'll get more fine grained control is you use the Sound API http://www.oracle.co...dex-139508.html

However, most of the APIs like the Sound API have been neglected for years so they haven't been updated properly to meet todays standards. You'll probably find your wav happens to have one of those settings that the Sound API just doesn't support.

I would suggest looking into a different sound API for Java and avoid using the neglected one. Your code will work fine if you use a midi.

You might look into some of the OpenAL Api's like lwjgl http://lwjgl.org/ which they are more up to date then what comes with java. Though that means you will have to have your app bundle the correct native libraries for the supported systems.

#3 IceBreaker23   Members   -  Reputation: 618

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

Finally it runs, but if I implement it in my game, I can´t hear the sound(it´s not muted^^)
But if my team leader runs it, he hears the sound.
Did anyone ever have this issue?

EDIT: team member, not leader. I am the leader xD

#4 medv4380   Members   -  Reputation: 98

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

First thing is to strip out that Applet code you have sitting their. It's the culprit in catching the errors so you don't see them. Which makes since because Applets were intended to access data only from a web server and never from the client side machine so it should have been made to handle the errors a little and expect that the audio isn't always there. Try something more like this.

import com.sun.media.sound.JavaSoundAudioClip;
import java.io.File;
import java.io.FileInputStream;
public class Test {
	public static void main(String args[]) {
		File f = null;
		FileInputStream in;
		try {
			f = new File("C:\\AudioTestFolder\\WindowsBalloon.wav");
			//mario.mid
			//WindowsBalloon.wav		  
			in = new FileInputStream(f);
			JavaSoundAudioClip ac = new JavaSoundAudioClip(in);
			ac.play();
		} catch (java.io.IOException e) {
			System.out.println("IO Exception in: " + f.getAbsoluteFile());
		} catch (Exception e) {
			e.printStackTrace();
		}
	}
}

This code actually throws errors so you can get better information on what's happening. I'm honestly getting the same issue with the WindowsBalloon.wav that comes with Windows 7, but it works fine with the mario.mid.

The error is
java.io.IOException: Unable to create AudioClip from input stream
at com.sun.media.sound.JavaSoundAudioClip.<init>(JavaSoundAudioClip.java:114)
at Test.main
But if the file name is wrong the error is this
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\XXX\Windows Balloon.wav (The system cannot find the file specified)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:106)
at Test.main

If you're getting the first error you might try encoding the wav file and try something a little more primitive in the wave settings.

What's occurring is Java is trying to use some native code in order to play the file. If some assumptions that the native code is making about the OS is in fact wrong then it will fail. In fact the "Source Code" for where your error is most likely occuring at looks like this.

private boolean createSourceDataLine() {
		//compiled code
		throw new RuntimeException("Compiled Code");
	}

Which was Sun's way of say Good Luck if this doesn't work.

Like I said before the Sound API is neglected so it tends to have some odd side effects.

I bet you that ether your boss maybe running ether a different OS or a different JVM. There is the possibility of him having the same OS and JVM and then the cause would be a tiny difference in the Audio Drivers he has loaded vs the ones you have loaded, but I doubt that is the case.

PS
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6251460
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=5070730

The bug you're probably hitting has been around sing Java 1.4 and I tested it with 1.6 and 1.7 and they are still there so its been known about for a long time and has yet to really be fixed.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS