• Create Account

The Sunset Strider

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan_001   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1209

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

Since there seems to be some interest in voxels lately, I thought I'd post an older project I worked on. This was a submission for a TigSource competition, we were given some random assets (art, sound effects, sprite sheets, ect...) and a month to come up with whatever we wanted. I went with a 2d sidescroller with a 3d twist. Given the 1 month limitation I only had 1 level, no enemies to shoot/kill, and no sound, but overall I found it to be a fun experiment.

The voxel 'engine' is implemented in a single shader program. Each voxel tile is 16x16x16 voxels, and the map consists of 256w x 128h x 64d tiles. The 'engine' was just a simple grid based ray casting algorithm. Performance was surprisingly good getting a consistent 30fps on a nvidia 9800 gtx, and 60fps (capped due to vsync so probably higher) on a ati 5770 (also implemented it in sse assembly and got around 4 fps on a single core just to see). Rendering resolution was 960 x 720.

I've provided a small video of it being played below.

Click here to view the iotd

Sponsor:

#2 The_Neverending_Loop   Members   -  Reputation: 591

1Likes

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

Really cool looking stuff! you should continue work on this!

#3 thePyro_13   Members   -  Reputation: 629

0Likes

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:38 AM

I really like the way you can turn and go down other paths. I don't think I've seen that before in a sidescroller.

#4 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 875

1Likes

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

I was thinking "Oh great. Another Minecraft clone...", but the video spoke volumes! That is an amazing take on a platformer.

#5 CamJackson   Members   -  Reputation: 205

0Likes

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

The video was great! Any plans to make a full game out of it? Looks like it has real potential as a puzzle platformer! :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS