• Create Account

Setting Depth Buffer Values

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Endemoniada   Members   -  Reputation: 283

0Likes

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hi guys, please take a look at the image below. I want to set the purple area to z=0 and the green area to z=1, then render like normal. I was thinking I could call Clear() with z=0 then render a quad for the green area and set the z=1 values that way, I need to specify the green area in world coordinates (at a specific world z) so I don't know how I would do that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Posted Image

Sponsor:

#2 Adam_42   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2353

0Likes

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

If it's always a rectangle you could just transform your world coordinates to screen coordinates on the CPU, and use Clear() to clear that rectangle.

Otherwise you'll probably want to create a pixel shader that simply writes 1.0 out to the DEPTH semantic (it may need to write a colour too, but you can easily disable colour writes with D3DRS_COLORWRITEENABLE).

Depending on the result you're trying to achieve, you may be able to do the same thing with the stencil buffer, which doesn't need a special shader.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS