• Create Account

ParticleSystem - Optimal count of particles for a fireball

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 IceBreaker23   Members   -  Reputation: 608

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:34 AM

Hi!

I´ve created a particle system for a fireball. I was wondering how many particles should i use for a fireball if there will be a few(max. 10-20) in one frame. It´s good looking at a minimum of 80 particles. What would you recommend?

Sponsor:

#2 Dunge   Members   -  Reputation: 405

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

This is relative to the rest of your project. What system do you aim? PC? What minimum requirment do you aim? A casual game for low-end computer and a DX11 hardcore game will be very different. It also depend on the rest of the scene, if you have barely nothing you have more framerates to spare for effects. The solution is just to find a minimum fps wanted for a certain hardware, and count assets in every scenes to be sure never get under it.

#3 turch   Members   -  Reputation: 590

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

if you have barely nothing you have more framerates to spare for effects

On the other hand, you don't want it to look out of place - if you are using low poly models and textures, you might not want to have an amazing, realistic and complicated fireball even if you can afford it.

#4 WiecznyWem   Members   -  Reputation: 103

2Likes

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

Hi.
It really depends.
Among other things, on how you write algorithm and structure of data.
But dont worry, the most important thing is end effect, so you can make more particle.

For example in my parcisle system(in 2D) i make 2400 for fire ball, 1417 for the colored particles, 14566 for the last. This numer, of course, is number of particle in one moment.
It's big numbers, but it's really good working (in SFML).

#5 IceBreaker23   Members   -  Reputation: 608

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

This is relative to the rest of your project. What system do you aim? PC? What minimum requirment do you aim? A casual game for low-end computer and a DX11 hardcore game will be very different. It also depend on the rest of the scene, if you have barely nothing you have more framerates to spare for effects. The solution is just to find a minimum fps wanted for a certain hardware, and count assets in every scenes to be sure never get under it.

Thank you for your replies.
I aim for middle-ware graphic cards. It should have good graphics and there will be many effects on a frame(compare it to a raid in wow). What would you recommend? Are 100 particles that much or is it affordable?

#6 turch   Members   -  Reputation: 590

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

100 should be plenty affordable, but you will want to benchmark on your target hardware and adjust.

#7 Adam_42   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2457

1Likes

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

Most of the cost of a particle system isn't in the number of particles you render. It's in the number of pixels that are blended with the back buffer (including overdraw). That means 50 particles that each cover most of the screen will almost certainly be slower than 500 small particles. That means unless you know where the camera is going to be the cost is very variable.

I'd suggest using one of these options:

1. Pick a setting which you know works well on your target hardware.
2. Give the user a setting to control particle density.
3. Automatically adjust the particle density based on frame rate.

#8 IceBreaker23   Members   -  Reputation: 608

0Likes

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:43 AM

Most of the cost of a particle system isn't in the number of particles you render. It's in the number of pixels that are blended with the back buffer (including overdraw). That means 50 particles that each cover most of the screen will almost certainly be slower than 500 small particles. That means unless you know where the camera is going to be the cost is very variable.

I'd suggest using one of these options:

1. Pick a setting which you know works well on your target hardware.
2. Give the user a setting to control particle density.
3. Automatically adjust the particle density based on frame rate.

Didnt know that :D I think ill use a default particle number, because 100 particles is about the lowest amount of particles that look like a fireball. Else it looks like some sparks.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS