• Create Account

FXAA in opengl

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 ic0de   Members   -  Reputation: 804

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

I am planning to replace the MSAA(antialiasing) in game with FXAA(for speed) but I cannot seem to find any info on the web explaining how FXAA actually works much less anything specific to OpenGL, could somebody explain to me how FXAA works and give me any OpenGL specific info?

you know you program too much when you start ending sentences with semicolons;

Sponsor:

#2 dpadam450   Members   -  Reputation: 862

1Likes

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

If you haven't seen the whitepaper it is here. It appears to be a two step process. First do an edge detect algorithm based on the current screen and output the edges to a new texture, use that new texture and wher there are edges you do a blur. You can discard non-edge pixels by turning on alpha test or some early reject so that the pixel shader only runs on the few select edge pixels in your texture.
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/assets/gamedev/files/sdk/11/FXAA_WhitePaper.pdf

#3 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 28604

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

It's a single-step process. You just render your scene to a texture, then you draw a full-screen quad using the FXAA shader and that texture as input.

It's assumed that if you're going to be integrating FXAA that you already know how to perform full-screen post-processing effects. If you're new to this, perhaps look up some OpenGL post processing tutorials first.

#4 ic0de   Members   -  Reputation: 804

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for the whitepaper, I couldn't find it

oh and btw I already know how to do postfx

you know you program too much when you start ending sentences with semicolons;

#5 othello   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

Use the code provided by Timothy Lottes at NVIDIA: http://timothylottes.blogspot.com/2011/07/nvidia-fxaa-39-released.html

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS