• Create Account

SIMD neighbor search for particles?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 trs79   Members   -  Reputation: 126

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to use SSE to speed up neighbor finding for a particle fluid simulation. My main issue, however, is storing the neighbors of each particle in memory such that I can quickly load all candidate spacial neighbors into xmm registers to begin distance testing to see if the neighbors are within the cutoff radius.

I've tried Z-order morton sorting, but that doesn't always ensure that the spacial neighbors of a particle are stored contiguously in memory. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 ColinDuquesnoy   Members   -  Reputation: 1125

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

I've never used it personnaly but a friend told me about the "placement new" technique that he uses to allocate chunks of data continuously in memory. See if this can help: http://www.parashift....html#faq-11.10

#3 trs79   Members   -  Reputation: 126

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for the info, I could use placement new to get contiguous memory for particles in the same uniform grid cell as the particle I'm testing, but getting the particles from the surrounding neighbor cells is where I'm stumped. I'm not even sure if this is possible, but I'm hoping

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS