• Create Account

Hero Engine, how flexible?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 ramdy   Members   -  Reputation: 139

0Likes

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:54 AM

Hello, few days ago discovered "Hero Engine". Have to say I became impressed for what I was seeing, it is the perfect tool :D but looks like too good to be true.

Regarding the post title, seems it is only possible programing by its own script HSL, how flexible is it?
If what you are trying to do is an MMO (not necesarely MMORPG with the perma 1-3rd view) is it suitable?
Do you guys have any experience with it?

I have readed many posts against this engine but not argumented.

Thanks in advance,
Jorge.

Sponsor:

#2 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6053

0Likes

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:25 AM

Build any kind of online game

You may think of HeroEngine with MMO-RPGs in mind, but now the engine architecture allows you to build any type of online game – from the hardcore to the casual, shooters, strategy games – almost anything you can imagine. You get complete control over all server and client dynamics because only HeroEngine’s scripting language is optimized for online games!

From the heroengine website, The engine itself seems flexible enough, you can also get sourcecode access if you contact them, (I'm assuming such a license is fairly expensive though) so as long as you don't need to do anything excessivly heavy computation wise that the engine doesn't allready handle then the scripting system HE provides should be more than enough.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#3 ramdy   Members   -  Reputation: 139

0Likes

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

Hi, I readed that as well but you know most times the advertised and the reality are different things, that why asking here ;)

Thanks!!

#4 Net Gnome   Members   -  Reputation: 769

0Likes

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

considering SWTOR is built off of it, i would say that gives it enough credibility Posted Image

#5 ramdy   Members   -  Reputation: 139

0Likes

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

SWTOR is a special case since BioWare purchased source code (maybe cause not enough flexible? :D).

#6 Net Gnome   Members   -  Reputation: 769

0Likes

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

true, but that was before it was publicly available

#7 AllEightUp   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4184

0Likes

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

SWTOR is a special case since BioWare purchased source code (maybe cause not enough flexible? Posted Image).

There is very little of the original HE engine remaining in Swtor.

#8 ramdy   Members   -  Reputation: 139

0Likes

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

There is very little of the original HE engine remaining in Swtor.

I have readed many posts against this engine but not argumented.

#9 Net Gnome   Members   -  Reputation: 769

0Likes

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

If you mean game-engine as in the Hero Engine, then yes, i would agree its probably heavily modified... but that is -not- why one would use the Hero Engine. You use it because of the set of real-time tools it comes with as well as the fact you can plug it into hero cloud. Its why Bioware purchased a license to the pre-market copy.

#10 Inomat   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

If you mean game-engine as in the Hero Engine, then yes, i would agree its probably heavily modified... but that is -not- why one would use the Hero Engine. You use it because of the set of real-time tools it comes with as well as the fact you can plug it into hero cloud. Its why Bioware purchased a license to the pre-market copy.

I believe the best quote was: "Swtor shipped despite HeroEngine".

Perhaps HE is better now, but Swtor probably doesn't use more than 10% of the original code, the code was gutted and rewritten almost everywhere. And specifically; real time collaboration was NOT used because it caused massive problems and the server is basically a from scratch rewrite. So, Swtor is not a very good example of HE abilities as there is very little similarity between them anymore.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS