• Create Account

[OpenGL] How to make terrain deformation with properties?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drakeon   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

Alright, so i got this game i'm trying to make, but the problem is, the terrain.

I want it to be possible to get deformation when for example, digging.

For reference, i'd like something similar to Minecraft when it comes to terrain, not necessarily randomly generated, but where every block has it's own properties, but not, you know, blocky.

Any ideas?

PS. I'm using jMonkeyEngine 3 for OpenGL (Which uses LWJGL as well)

Sponsor:

#2 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2960

0Likes

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:25 AM

Sorry, I don't know about jMonkeyEngine.
However, I'd like to understand how much deformation you need.
If the system is heightmap-based, it will likely break.
Minecraft takes it easy with its grid/voxel/block-based approach: that allows easy deformation and under/overhangs. Remove that constraint and the problem becomes much more complicated. There are indeed systems supporting voxel-based editing without blockiness but I am not well aware if jMonkeyEngine supports that.

#3 Drakeon   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:01 AM

What i want is kind of like Minecraft, but without it being blocky, not sure if it's possible though, like you said.

I don't need random generation right now though, so don't worry about that.

What i was thinking was to make it like a bunch of models stuffed together like Minecraft where it's just a bunch of squares all over the place, not sure how well it would work though.

Do you have any idea on how it can be done?

PS. jMonkeyEngine is just like using LWJGL, but with an IDE to use.
So it doesn't make any difference in the code.

#4 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2351

0Likes

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:18 AM

Make it like minecraft but with smaller voxels and smooth out the cubes based on their surroundings?

Waterlimon (imagine this is handwritten please)

#5 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2960

0Likes

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

What i was thinking was to make it like a bunch of models stuffed together like Minecraft where it's just a bunch of squares all over the place, not sure how well it would work though.

Do you have any idea on how it can be done?

I had a quick glance at jME3 javadocs. I'm not 100% sure but it appears to me it only supports heightmap-based terrain. I cannot understand if it supports dynamic terrain.
My best bet would to look into "isosurface reconstruction" algorithms for voxel based structures. Asking on jME3 user forum is your best bet I suppose.

I spent quite some effort in the past in allowing multiple heightmap based terrains to be joined together like "a bunch of models". It didn't quite work out, not automatically at least... so I'm afraid I have no idea on how it can be done. For full 3D deformation, I'd go for voxels and reconstruction systems.
However, if each point can only be deformed in the sense of going up/down (not "pushed in") then heightmaps will still do. Like minecraft without blockiness? Won't do.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS