• Create Account

adding post process slows down my frametime?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 champloo   Members   -  Reputation: 147

0Likes

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

I'm new to graphics and still wondering how do people set up their post processing passes.
so I draw all my object onto a render target texture. and then apply FXAA on that texture and output to the back buffer.
This takes 7-8ms every frame.

Then I added another post process shader which do nothing but pass through color. And the frametime goes up to 14-15ms.
Is it normal or did I do something wrong?

the pipeline is something like this:

draw objects onto a screen size texture -> render the same texture onto another screen size texture -> apply fxaa to this texture and output to backbuffer

thanks,

Sponsor:

#2 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8285

1Likes

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

Yup, that's normal. PP is fillrate sensitive and even a "do nothing" pass still needs to write out everything in the framebuffer all over again.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#3 champloo   Members   -  Reputation: 147

0Likes

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

Yup, that's normal. PP is fillrate sensitive and even a "do nothing" pass still needs to write out everything in the framebuffer all over again.

got it, guess i need to squeeze more stuff in one pass then

#4 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 11790

0Likes

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

That depends on the hardware, your resolution, and what you're doing. Adding an addition 7-8ms just for one post-processing effect does sound wayyyy too high, unless the hardware is extremely weak (Intel integrated graphics) and/or you're doing something really complex. What kind of hardware are you running on?

#5 champloo   Members   -  Reputation: 147

0Likes

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

That depends on the hardware, your resolution, and what you're doing. Adding an addition 7-8ms just for one post-processing effect does sound wayyyy too high, unless the hardware is extremely weak (Intel integrated graphics) and/or you're doing something really complex. What kind of hardware are you running on?

it's a nvidia gt 525M. And the resolution is 1280x720.
and removing both post-processing effects causes my frametime drop to 1-2ms.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS