• Create Account

Can I make FPS 'Maps' (levels) in 3ds max?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 DyeGuardian   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

I was wondering if I could create maps for my FPS (First Person Shooter) in 3ds max, and if so, how far could I go with 3ds Max alone without using any additional resource?

I am creating my game all from scratch. ALL of it. So I assume creating whole maps (not including extras such as spawn points or ammo or whatever else) in 3ds Max IS possible. I'll need to write a map editor but mainly, am I able to model the whole thing in 3ds Max (again, not including any extras) and import it to my map editor?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also, if writing my own editor sounds like an idea that will work. What would you suggest I write it in? I am going to pick up some programming books tomorrow, one of which includes C++ (what I will hope to write my game engine in).

Sponsor:

#2 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2565

1Likes

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

It might even be possible to put the extras in too using a 3d modeling program, i think they probably have a feature for that or allow making some fancy script to add a feature like that.

o3o

#3 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6111

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

It might even be possible to put the extras in too using a 3d modeling program, i think they probably have a feature for that or allow making some fancy script to add a feature like that.

indeed you could, one easy way with 3dsmax is to simply have the export script treat objects with specific names differently (i.e any object that is named spawn_whatever is saved as a spawnpoint instead of geometry)
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#4 Marvel Magnum   Members   -  Reputation: 333

1Likes

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

Before heading straight into things like level building in 3D software, engine writing in C++, why don't you try you hand at one of the engine SDKs available.
Try building a level in Unreal Editor in any of the UDKs, for example. This will be a lot easier that making a level in a raw 3D software and building an engine to import that raw data to usable format that you can use. It will also give you a feel for how editors work.

#5 menyo   Members   -  Reputation: 452

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

Yup this is possible, but expensive. What you should do i make parts of the level and build it up within your program. Profesional FPS games use BSP meshes which are cheap to calculate collision on and then insert all kinds of static meshes to decorade the level. This way you can reuse a lot of meshes without much cost in memory.

You could also model bigger sections but add a more simplified mesh for collision detection. But i'm not seeing any advantage of this since you want to re use meshes a lot.

Current Project: TechnoFlux read all about it on my

DEV BLOG

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS