• Create Account

Getting Resources in a Jar File

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 ChaoSXDemon   Members   -  Reputation: 96

0Likes

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

While loading any resources in a developing environment (ie run from Eclipse or BlueJ or w/e you use to edit your Java including CMD / Shell), it is easy. You can use relative path or absolute path. However, it seems when I export my game into a jar file, the path is not returned properly even if I call getClass().getResource("/").getPath(). I am GUESSING that it has to do with the fact that my classes (.java files) are inside packages. Specifically, they are in "sf/core/" folder (package sf.core). I have been searching (Google) and have yet to find any solutions. The getResource() always return null and calling getPath() will cause a NullPointerException. Anyone know of this problem?

Thanks,
CXD
Youtube:
My Channel

Video Lessons:
Java Programming Lessons

Tutorials Written (Not-Active):
Introduction to A.I.

Sponsor:

#2 Matt328   Members   -  Reputation: 240

0Likes

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Class.html#getResource(java.lang.String)

I think your problem might be that "/" isn't a valid resource. As per the last few lines of the javadoc linked above, the method returns null when the resource you request isn't found.

getResource() is designed to give you a URL to a resource, and in this context, a folder within a jar file isn't considered a resource. Try putting an image at the root of the classes directory inside the jar file (alongside your 'sf' folder) and see what getResource("image.png") returns.

#3 PsionicTransvection   Members   -  Reputation: 262

0Likes

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

I also had a similar problem but I managed to fix it here is an example from mi code

ImageIcon X = new ImageIcon(getClass().getResource("/images/X.png"));

my image is stored in src/images/
see how I wrote the string for the path try it out

#4 ChaoSXDemon   Members   -  Reputation: 96

0Likes

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for the replies! Eventually I gave up because there is some sort of synchronization problem which "getClass()" doesn't work well. I solved by using a global static string which contains the root path. I made it to work with a jar by basically not including the resources inside the jar file. I explicitly asked for the place where the jar file is located and then load images / sounds / resources from there assuming that the folder will always be there.

I also suspect that "getResource()" doesn't work due to my Eclipse export isn't setup properly. Anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks,
CXD
Youtube:
My Channel

Video Lessons:
Java Programming Lessons

Tutorials Written (Not-Active):
Introduction to A.I.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS