• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Recast and Detour in C#

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 calculemus1988   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

I am stuck with my RTS game in Unity/C#, on the navigation system. For one I don't have enough experience and another thing, information on the topic is hard to get. I will need to buy all 4 AI Wisdom books.

Doing it myself it turns out I will end up in unknown land by myself and waste time and do nothing. I decided to try Recast and Detour as my last option. I hate reading someone else's C++ but what a hell.

I was wondering what do you think about rewriting Recast and Detour in C#? Any estimation how much time it might take? A dude worked 3 months at Google Summer of Code on getting Recast and Detour to work for Blender. I assume similar time, 3-5 months maybe.

Thanks for any comments, warnings, suggestions

Sponsor:

#2 Relfos   Members   -  Reputation: 322

0Likes

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

If I'm not mistaken Recast & Detour are both included in Unity 3.5 as part of the new pathfinding system. Did you check the latest beta?

#3 calculemus1988   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

I did check out the beta but it seems I will have to do my own pathfinding to have more control over things. Are you sure that Recast and Detour is actually used in Unity? Can you share a link or something to read ?

#4 Relfos   Members   -  Reputation: 322

0Likes

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:46 AM

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is, I've read about it somewhere. It seems that there are other Unity pathfinding solutions also based on recast, check this:
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/116517-Is-the-Navigation-Mesh-only-for-Pro

#5 calculemus1988   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

I was recommended to use this one by the author of Recast and Detour: http://stevefsp.org/

It is c# port to recast and detour for use with unity, will give it a try

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS