• Create Account

Browser based webgame - "Managing Turns" in mySQL/PHP

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 fr0st2k   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

I've been attempting to teach myself THE WEB (html5, css3, ajax, php, mysql) by starting production on a browser based web game.

So far so good. However, I've reached a wall that I can't quite figure out.

If you are unsure as to what a browser based game is...one of the originals was Archmage, or "http://www.the-reincarnation.com/"

In this game, every 5 minutes, each player receives a turn, and they max out at 200, or some other arbitrary number.

I have no idea how I am going to accomplish this.

Stipulations:

-I want it to be a server-wide update. As in, everyone receives their turn at the same time.
-I can not use mysql event_scheduler. I am using a web host, and the hosting service has it disabled. At this time, I can not host a server on my own machine. Its just not feasible at this point in time.

event_scheduler is a mysql 5.1 addition, so it would appear many other games/including archmage have some other solution for granting turns and keeping track of time.

I can only think of really poor ways of implementing this, and could really use some advice. Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3989

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:38 AM

cronjobs

Europe1300.eu - Historical Realistic Medieval Sim (RELEASED!)

PocketSpaceEmpire - turn based 4X with no micromanagement FB

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS