• Create Account

How should I handle dependencies?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 SteveDeFacto   Banned   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:18 AM

My project currently uses cmake to automate the creation of project files. This works great, however, it also uses 7 different libraries and each one must be built then linked to the project. This makes it an awful pain to build the project files. I've recently just copied the source files for each library into the project its self but this increases the complication time to a staggering 20 minutes. My only idea to fix this would be to some how compile the libraries from the command line with cmake but I'm not sure if this can even be done. I need a better solution?

Sponsor:

#2 Telastyn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3730

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

Why are you rebuilding the libraries each time? Do they change?

#3 NightCreature83   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3095

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

My project currently uses cmake to automate the creation of project files. This works great, however, it also uses 7 different libraries and each one must be built then linked to the project. This makes it an awful pain to build the project files. I've recently just copied the source files for each library into the project its self but this increases the complication time to a staggering 20 minutes. My only idea to fix this would be to some how compile the libraries from the command line with cmake but I'm not sure if this can even be done. I need a better solution?

Does your build tool support project dependancies so you can tell it which to build first, I know this is possible for VS solutions. It gets worse even if there are dependancies between the libraries themselfs.

But the real question is the one the previous poster asked do they have to be rebuilt each time? If not you could decide to include some prebuild dlls with your distribution method.
Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, Mad Max

#4 SteveDeFacto   Banned   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

Does your build tool support project dependancies so you can tell it which to build first, I know this is possible for VS solutions. It gets worse even if there are dependancies between the libraries themselfs.

But the real question is the one the previous poster asked do they have to be rebuilt each time? If not you could decide to include some prebuild dlls with your distribution method.

It's cross platform which mean binaries would have to be created for each platform. I want it to be easy to build the project files so others can help develop the project without spending hours to build each dependency. I also want it to be easy to build for my sake since I tend to want to work on it while in class but I have to build each dependency before I can. I just want to be able to download the source code from the SVN repository, immediately create project files, and start working.

#5 turch   Members   -  Reputation: 590

1Likes

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

I want it to be easy to build the project files so others can help develop the project without spending hours to build each dependency.

Then provide pre-built binaries for several major platforms. Add a note somewhere along the lines of "hey, are you building this on a platform we don't have prebuilt binaries for? build them, send them to us and we'll put them up".

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS