• Create Account

Device Creation Failure - On Start

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

#21 KieranChandler   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

I am using Windows 7 Starter. I have a compatible graphics card because up until now it has always worked i have tried updating the drivers earlier today and it said they are up-to date. how do I tell if I am running remote desktop mode and how do i disable it ?

Sponsor:

#22 Evil Steve   Members   -  Reputation: 1955

1Likes

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:10 AM

If you're not logging in remotely, you're not using remote desktop.

Can we get a screenshot of your dxdiag window? Something sounds very wrong with your setup.

You could also try doing a system restore to roll back to a time when other 3D games worked.

Steve Macpherson
Senior programmer, Firebrand Games

#23 KieranChandler   Members   -  Reputation: 133

-2Likes

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

i have thought about that but i cant boot ubuntu from my usb stick. Can you help me with this ?

#24 Evil Steve   Members   -  Reputation: 1955

0Likes

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

What does Ubuntu have to do with anything?

Steve Macpherson

#25 KieranChandler   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

i just like it and i want to use it

#26 Evil Steve   Members   -  Reputation: 1955

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

You can't use it with Direct3D. Direct3D is Windows-only.

I'm beginning to strongly suspect that this is just a troll thread. In which case it's going to get locked and the OP is going to get warned.

Steve Macpherson

#27 KieranChandler   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

how is it a troll thread

#28 Evil Steve   Members   -  Reputation: 1955

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

1. In several posts you've been asked one or more questions which you either don't answer at all, or answer a single one of in a single sentence. Outstanding questions asked which you've not answered are so far:
"Presumably CreateDevice() is failing - is that what your debugger tells you (If you put a breakpoint in the if(FAILED(hRet)) block, is it hit)?"
"What to the debug Direct3D runtimes tell you (Start menu -> DirectX SDK -> Tools -> DirectX Control Panel -> Direct3D9 tab, select "Use Debug Version of Direct3D 9")?"
"What are the values of all those settings? Are you sure you've chosen settings that your graphics card supports?"
"Do you get any debug output at all? And any D3D output at all?"
"Also, what is the value of hRet when CreateDevice() fails (Look at it in the debugger, preferably in hexadecimal view)?"
"Really? I've never seen CreateDevice() return that, it should be something like D3DERR_INVALIDCALL or D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE."
"Can you give us a screenshot of your dxdiag window?"
"What graphics card do you have?"

2. For someone who's doing a DirectX programming course, you don't seem to know anything about computers (E.g. what Remote Desktop is)

3. You change the subject to something unrelated and obviously incompatible with DirectX before the original issue has been addressed, as if you've become bored with it.

If it's not a troll thread, then I suggest sticking to the original topic, and trying to answer peoples questions as fully as possible.

Steve Macpherson

#29 KieranChandler   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

yes because i didn't know how to answer most of them which is why i was asking so many questions.

#30 Washu   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 4475

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

yes because i didn't know how to answer most of them which is why i was asking so many questions.

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/general-programming/introduction-to-debugging-r2322

Oh, and if you don't know how to do something, changing the subject doesn't help. ASK.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.
ScapeCode - Blog | SlimDX

#31 KieranChandler   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

but none of this works i need to wipe/restore my laptop, but i can't do that yet

#32 Evil Steve   Members   -  Reputation: 1955

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

Asking questions is absolutely fine, but in order to answer them, we need to ask you questions too - which we need you to answer Posted Image

but none of this works i need to wipe/restore my laptop, but i can't do that yet

I'd recommend trying to get other apps / games working first, if no D3D games work then there's very little chance that you'll be able to get D3D programming working - and if you're not familiar with D3D, then that won't help at all.
Asking about Ubuntu is also absolutely fine, but you should start a new thread in the appropriate forum (GDNet Lounge seems like the best forum to me).

Steve Macpherson

#33 KieranChandler   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

If you look back at previous replies i stated that i had tried unity3d and that doesn't work either i don't know what to do

#34 Evil Steve   Members   -  Reputation: 1955

0Likes

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

If commercial applications aren't working, then you'll need to sort that out first, and that would be a tech support question that we can't usually help with. If D3D is messed up to the extent that it seems to be, then restoring or re-installing your OS sounds like a sensible option.

Steve Macpherson

#35 KieranChandler   Members   -  Reputation: 133

1Likes

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

my thoughts exactly, thank you, i will try it

#36 KieranChandler   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

i just ran "dxdiag" it turns out i was running the wrong one. I can't put the information on here because it won't give me the option to, but it says Direct3D Acceleration : Not Available

#37 KieranChandler   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

what does this mean ? I don't have 3d acceleration on my laptop, or it just doesn't know ?

#38 KieranChandler   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

I have fixed it. i had to go into the DirectX Control Panel and uncheck a box that said "software only".

Thanks so much for the help everyone

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS