• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

My simple graphics library (feedback appreciated)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 LuciusPrince   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Hello,

In October 2011 I began working with the XNA framework. At the end of the year I switched to DirectX 11 with SlimDX. Since then I have improved a lot and do now have some first satisfying results. So I'd like to share this small success and also ask you for your opinion.

I am currently building a tiny Direct3D 11 library and game framework, nothing fancy, just for personal use. As it is difficult to show you the project as a whole I will show you the main class containing the application logic.
My framework has so far many similarities with the XNA framework.

http://pastebin.com/YwHVZQiA

The solution contains references to my framework and XNA Math. There are three classes in the application: MyGame (see above), Program and PrimitiveHelper.

This is the application in action. The cube rotates, of course:

Posted Image

I am not sure wether this is enough information to actually give me some valueable feedback. Also, I know this is nothing special so far, in fact, it's nothing compared to other projects. But I still consider myself to be a beginner and I hope I can get better with your help.

Thank you!

Greetings from Austria

Sponsor:

#2 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3167

0Likes

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:07 AM

I am not sure wether this is enough information to actually give me some valueable feedback.

I'm afraid it's not. I'm not sure I can appreciate your work in the first place, just to be completely honest.

#3 Tsus   Members   -  Reputation: 1048

0Likes

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

That looks good for a start. Hang on. Posted Image

How are you on your feet with shaders, render targets, post effects and that sort?
If you got that and add in some code for picking you’re good to go for a small nice looking game project. It’s best to start with simple reimplementations of classic games (pong, tetris, space invaders …). Don’t try too much at the beginning. To make things more fun you may think of adding a new feature to such games and see how that changes the game mechanics. Posted Image

There are many nice books on graphics/game development out there and a huge number of tutorials (thanks to our community, sharing so much experience).
So, I guess you’ll find sources for inspiration. Posted Image

As for your mimic of XNA, I’d say sure why not? If you feel comfortable with something then just keep it.

Good luck then!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS