• Create Account

PIX not working

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Memories are Better   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 769

0Likes

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Hi

I have an app in WPF using SlimDX, tried to use PIX with it and no matter what options I pick (or what comp I am on) the app crashes

Although the exception log doesnt explain much (even online searches werent really helpful, here it is)

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: WPFDXApp.exe
  Application Version: 1.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp: 4f442346
  Fault Module Name: d3d9.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
  Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7b7b3
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 00079de8
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 2057
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

The application works fine if I open it separately but no matter what option I pick in PIX I seem to get an exception much like the one above. Not really sure what other information to give, the WPF app is using DX10 and the worst part is the whole reason I was trying to use PIX was because something wasnt rendering and it took me 18 hours to find out why.

For winform apps PIX works fine, just doesnt seem to work with any WPF apps :/ any way of working around this, although I havent had a chance to properly use PIX it seems like it will be very useful.

in regards to 'Fault Module Name', the part of the app that uses DX9 is the part that creates the D3Dimage (D3DSlimDXImage.cs or something), it is in the SlimDX examples for DX10 too, sorry about being vague havent got VS up atm and im somewhat exhausted. The DX9 WPF example also crashes with a similar error but DX9 WinForm apps work fine.

Regards

Sponsor:

#2 turch   Members   -  Reputation: 590

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

If possible, try it on another machine. At one point I started getting a crash in PIX that only showed up on my machine and only with one program. A clean reinstall of everything fixed it.

#3 Memories are Better   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 769

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

I tried it on 2 comps, one x86 and the other x64, project was even compiled in different versions for the sake of things (although obviously the x64 wasnt tested on the x86), it only seems to be affecting WPF apps careless of directx version.

The directX SDK was installed 2 days ago on laptop as well as everything else, judging by your reply am I correct to assume this issue of not being able to start WPF apps in PIX is only affecting me?

#4 turch   Members   -  Reputation: 590

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

am I correct to assume this issue of not being able to start WPF apps in PIX is only affecting me?

Sorry, I've never tried to run WPF in PIX, but my logs showed similar stuff. However, doing a quick google search shows that people are running WPF in PIX, so at least its possible.

#5 skytiger   Members   -  Reputation: 258

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

PIX rarely works if DX is in DEBUG mode
also what does DX debug output say?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS