• Create Account

Implementation of the "Magnus Effect" on a 2D Pong Style game...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 ThisIsPathetic   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hey everyone, I'm not a big forum user, but from looking around this site it seems like its a great place to finally get my feet wet!

I'm working on a basic pong game, which was pretty simple to accomplish... but now I'm looking to up the physics of the game, and make it really unique!

Instead of the basic 'bounce' of the ball and paddle, I have recently been playing around with applying the paddle's velocity to the direction that the ball travels... I came up with some simple dynamics, and put it in my game, and it seemed to look pretty good Posted Image

Posted Image
Although, I think my 'physics' of the situation may be a little off... I based my code off of this drawing, and tweaked it along the way.

Anyways, I started to think about it some more, and came up with the idea that the ball should technically have rotation... and then I drew up another sketch on how it should rotate (I'm a visual kind of guy), and then implemented it into my code.

Posted Image

The first implementation, of using the paddle velocity to affect the ball's direction was pretty straight forward, and I got it to look somewhat correct in the end. But when I went to implement the ball's curve... that's where things got a little tricky...

if anyone would like to see an example of whats going on in my code, I would be more than happy to explain it, but I rather not flood my first post with a bunch of content that may turn people off of the main question here...

While I was looking into the 'curve'/rotation of the ball, I know that the paddle's velocity does effect the outcome, and then I read a post about the 'Magnus Effect' and decided that that is DEFINITELY the route I Want to go. (it was actually on there forums too: http://www.gamedev.n...-off-a-wall-2d/)

But with that post almost 5 years outdated... I searched some more online on my own, but really just need someone to help me break it down so I can understand it all.

I appreciate all the help I can get, and I appreciate communities like this one, I think its a GREAT place to learn... I look forward to getting into some good conversations with some of you!

BTW - I'm using XNA 4.0, as well as the Farseer Engine, or, more commonly known as Box2D :D

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS